Questions on price

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clb

I am currently trying to setup a budget for when we are able to get Chinchillas in a few years. This includes estimates on cages, toys, food, vet costs, and so forth. I was wondering does the price of Chinchillas change significantly year by year?

Also what should I expect to pay for a show quality Chinchilla? Would the prices be different depending on age? Gender? Doesn't have to be exact a range would be nice.

What do you think a good vet savings would be?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I have seen, the price of chinchillas seems to hang around the same price year to year usually between $100-$250 depending on age and mutation. Typically many breeders will reduce their prices the longer they have the chinchilla or the older it gets. I haven't really seen a difference in prices between males and females. I know of a breeder who sells their older females for around $40-$50.

For a vet savings fund having at least $500 is a good starting point. You never know when an emergency will arise so the more you have set aside, the better. I have only used $75 of my vet fund in the 4 or so months I've had my chinchilla, but I feel better knowing the money is there. A good practice would be to add to the fund as time goes on so that it keeps growing in case of emergency.

With the food, if you buy online it is a LOT cheaper than buying in a store even with shipping included. The cages range a lot in price, so really you just have to find one you like and add it to your budget. There are a TON of options for toys in the chinchilla stuff for sale threads so that is really just how much you want to spoil your fur baby.

The price you pay is going to depend on who you buy it from and what it is. You might get a really nice standard from a smaller breeder for $150.00 but from a larger, more well-known breeder a similar animal may be $300.00. Keep in mind ANY chin is "show quality." All that means is that they can be shown It could also mean they got a 5th place. Don't get caught up in someone telling you it's show quality. If you want an animal that is show proven, you are going to pay more most likely, especially if they placed higher on the table.

As far as how much for a chin, that is going to depend entirely on you. What I might not be willing to give more than $150.00 for you might be willing to pay $300.00. He/she might be an animal you reeeaaaalllly want, and for me it just isn't worth it.

Vet bill wise, some people say $500, some say $1000.00. Call the vet you plan to use and ask what they charge for a C-section, an amputation, office visits, emergency visits, x-rays, lab work, and then save accordingly.

Chins are by far the most expensive pets I have ever owned. The initial cost was $500 for our extra dark ebony twin girls, and $300 for our violet wrap baby. However, you could find a chin as cheap as FREE if you check out sites like Craigslist, though I don't necessarily recommend it, plenty of individuals have adopted great chins for free or very cheap. The initial cost, however, is only the beginning. My three girls all live in the same cage...a Quality Cage Chinchilla Mansion. Many other owners get Ferret Nation cages, which are cheaper, but keep in mind you generally have to get Bass Pans with these cages which add to the cost.

Then, you either have to buy bedding (aspen or kiln-dried pine) or fleece liners. I personally use fleece liners with a glass Pyrex pan filled with kiln-dried pine that my chins are trained to urinate in. Fleece liners generally cost about $15 a piece but they are cheaper in the long run.

One of the biggest expenses for me has been wood. I spend about $50 a month on wood! Mine go through it fast as I do not really limit it. I am sure I could save money if I limited them to less, but I personally feel they should have access to a variety of wood to chew. Chins need to chew wood as their teeth are constantly growing.

As for hay, I feed Kleenmama's timothy hay. Right now she has 3rd cutting available which is a great cut of hay...very leafy and soft. It is reasonably priced and it lasts my chins for awhile.

Don't forget pellets! Most chins eat alfalfa based pellets. Mine are given Tradition, which I buy from Ryerson Ranch. 12lbs lasts me awhile. You can also likely find Mazuri and Oxbow locally, which are both good feeds. I keep mine in a dog food storage bin for freshness.

Toys are more of a luxury than a necessity. I buy mine some, but as long as you give sticks, you do not need to buy toys.

I have also decked out their cage in hammocks, fleece hidey tunnels, fleece ledges, etc which cost me around $150 total. Again, not necessary things really, but nice to have and they enjoy all of it very much!

I don't want to think about how much really, in total, I have spent on my three girls...LOL! At least $2,000 if not more. That's more than I have spent on my dog! Don't be fooled...they are small...but can be expensive depending on how far you go with spoiling them ;)

As for vet bills, it depends. I have a $1,000 visa card I keep for emergencies. I haven't had to use it...only you can set the price of what you want to save/are willing to pay in case of an emergency.

Good luck, and I hope you found this to be helpful!

pants567: That's good to know that chinchilla's price doesn't change by much year by year. That will make things easier for me. I noticed that the cages do really vary in price, and I think it will depend on what age the chins I get in the furture are. For example, I have yet to see a baby chin safe ferret cage, though I have yet to decide if I want a younger or older chin.

Tunes: That is a good ideal to call exotic vet ahead of time for price estimations. Makes me wish we still lived in my hometown, had a really knowledgeable exotic pet there who helped our rats. Is there a list somewhere on the forum of exotic pets by state?

TrioOfFluff: You are lucky chinchillas are your most expensive pet lol. We have spent over $3000 on our cat due to emergency surgery, special all wet food diet, and after surgery care. Also spent about $1000 on a rat with a nasty parasite. We seem to have bad luck when it comes to getting healthy pets. It is actually one of my biggest concerns, especially after reading all the health related posts on the forums.

Everyone thanks for the help. I am thinking we will need $1000 for vet emergencies because of our bad luck. Everyone's advice has helped a lot with making a budget. I have figured out if I start saving $100 a month then in four years I will have $4800. That should be plenty for everything on my list. :)

I noticed that the cages do really vary in price, and I think it will depend on what age the chins I get in the furture are. For example, I have yet to see a baby chin safe ferret cage, though I have yet to decide if I want a younger or older chin.
1 level of a ferret nation would be safe for a younger chin. Most breeders won't sell kits until they're atleast 9 - 12 weeks old. You may have to make a few modifications for the first month or so. But babies grow and learn quickly. If you decide on a cage you want start checking your local craigslist. I got a great used ferret nation for $120.

Is there a list somewhere on the forum of exotic vets by state?
Here ya go

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Also, if you tell us your location there may be members in your area who can recommend a good vet.

Last edited:
1 level of a ferret nation would be safe for a younger chin. Most breeders won't sell kits until they're atleast 9 - 12 weeks old. You may have to make a few modifications for the first month or so. But babies grow and learn quickly. If you decide on a cage you want start checking your local craigslist. I got a great used ferret nation for $120.

Here ya go

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Also, if you tell us your location there may be members in your area who can recommend a good vet.
Thanks for link. :) Okay, so after 9 weeks they don't need that smaller bar spacing, that is good to know.

Thanks for link. :) Okay, so after 9 weeks they don't need that smaller bar spacing, that is good to know.

It all depends on how big they are. Generally speaking they should be big enough, or getting close to it, by that point. I can't give you an exact weight, a smaller chin with some chub can weigh as much as a leaner chin with a larger skeletal structure.

Depending on the animal you may have to wrap something around the cage for a little while. Initially you may have to place ledges closer together, but babies grow and learn quickly. I have 'over baby proofed' cages for young kits. Once I realized that they could jump larger distances then I expected I re-arranged the cages.

Last edited:

Oh they still need the smaller wire spacing at 9 weeks. A lot of people just wrap hardware cloth which is sold at most home improvement stores, around the cage until the chin is big enough to not need the hardware cloth. Hardware cloth is a flimsy wire not an actual cloth.

My start up costs for a chin were probably close to $500. I am guessing on average I spend $50-$75 a month on my 2 which includes hay, food, water, bedding and toys/wood. It varies as I tend to stock on toys and wood at once then have it for a while.

I got my first standard gray male for $65 and my next one for $50.

Like someone else said, definitely keep an eye on Craig's list for a cage. I got a 3-level Ferret Nation cage for $200

Brittany and Dolyphinm that is probably do then, wrap with the hardware cloth, if I get young chin.

starrynight0621 I am good at bargain shoping so I will keep Craig's list in mind.

Latest posts

Back