Questions from a newbie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

I am usually on the chin side, as I am a hobby breeder. But I am looking into getting a hedgehog, maybe as soon as a couple of weeks from now. In my research, I have come up with a few questions.

1) What is the proper amount and balance of food to give a hedgie? I know they eat a high quality cat food (can someone point me in the direction of a good brand?) and also a bunch of other foods from the grocery store, like eggs, cottage cheese, fruit, etc., and I know they can have mealworms. But I haven't been able to figure out the proper proportions. How much of their diet should consist of non-cat food items? Are those other things treats, or a vital part of their nutrition?

2) I build all of my own chin cages, and so was planning on designing and building a hedgie cage as well. My tentative plan is a cage about 2' x 3' by
12" high. Does that sound adequate? I didn't want to make it too high, as I read they can climb up, fall and hurt themselves. I also have to decide on a wheel and measure its height, so that might change somewhat, depending on the wheel size.

3) I read they are prone to respiratory problems. I was planning on keeping my hedgie in the same room as my chins, which can get fairly dusty sometimes, because of the bath dust. Is that likely to be a problem? I can control the temperature for the hedgie with a heat emitter on the cage, so that won't be an issue, but I am concerned about the dust being a problem.

Thanks for your help guys!

1. The amounts vary by hedgie, some eat a ton, others eat less depending on the size of the hog. Most of mine clean up their bowl every night (aproximately 30 kibble) plus they get a separate small dish of fruits, cooked veggies chicken, salmon (whatever the mix is that evening) which is a part of their diet not just a treat. Mealies on the other hand are used as treats in our house because are fattening. By weighing frequently, I have found that three mealies every other day works for my boys. All hogs are different though, I recommend a weight chart when you first start out. In terms of food recommendations, this thread will probably be of use to you:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287

2. The size is adequate, though there is an argument that the more safe space you provide for an animal, the longer they will live. The height may be an issue for you to fit the wheel.

3. Temperatures for chins vs. hedgies are quite opposite. You may have difficulty ensuring one stays warmer while the others stay cooler if the room is confined. A heat emitter can only do so much. As for the dust, I'm not entirely sure. I have had some hedgies who sneeze with dust but I'm not sure the effect of dust on a daily basis. There are others on this forum who have both hedgies and chins and may better be able to advise you...

Back