questions about treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinewifey4433

i know everyone prefers not to give treats of any kind but i was gonna every now and then give them a rose hip or something like that that is on the good treat list.. well they won't eat any of it lol... the only thing that they like is apple sticks from the petstore. all they are interested in is eating their house and shelving lol.. is this normal?? Also i know this is probally going to be a no no but i was wondering if i got bananna's and dried them myself in a dehydrater since they would have no extra sugar's or anything added to them if i could give them those from time to time?:confused: like maybe once a month?

Dehydrated fruits still have sugar. Dehydrating takes the water out, not the sugars. It concentrates the sugars. The sugars cause the bacteria in their GI system to overgrow. Bacteria make gas. Gas leads to bloat. Bloat leads to a very sick and possibly dead chin.

So, absolutely no fruit or vegetables, dried or not, of any kind. Not once a year, not once a month, not once a week.

There are more options to try than just rose hips. Unfrosted shredded wheat, old fashioned oats, plain cherrios, and several people make "chin cookies" here as well.

If you do a forum search on treats, you will turn up about 800 threads discussing unsafe treats, safe treats, and where you can buy them.

Last edited:
Dehydrated fruits still have sugar. Dehydrating takes the water out, not the sugars. It concentrates the sugars. The sugars cause the bacteria in their GI system to overgrow. Bacteria make gas. Gas leads to bloat. Bloat leads to a very sick and possibly dead chin.

So, absolutely no fruit or vegetables, dried or not, of any kind. Not once a year, not once a month, not once a week.

There are more options to try than just rose hips. Unfrosted shredded wheat, old fashioned oats, plain cherrios, and several people make "chin cookies" here as well.

If you do a forum search on treats, you will turn up about 800 threads discussing unsafe treats, safe treats, and where you can buy them.

Okay just as i figured :) Never hurts to ask though right lol. Thsey have tried everything you said except the cookies, do you know who sells those? Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

There are various forum members that sell homemade cookies. Just a few off the top of my head: Alli (Camphor Chins), staceywolf (she sells great apple wood too), and Essentia. There's a sticky thread on the top of the Chin Supplies for Sale section that you can check out.

Latest posts

Back