Questions about making my own liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabella Whateva

Hi guys
My friend is going to JoAnn's today after class so I figured I'd come along and check out some fleece for liners.

I'm supposed to use the blizzard fleece, right? On their webpage it looks like solids are about $3.20 a yard right now.

If I want to make two sets of liners for my FN (no cut-out) how much fleece should I get?

Can you tell me what the size and/or price difference would be if I didn't put a middle layer in? I still can't decide if I want that middle layer or not. The liners I have now are from Camphor Chins. Anyone know if she uses a middle layer or not? They're perfect for me, so I'm trying to replicate them as much as possible.

When I ordered my set of two for her last time, it ended up being $35 including shipping. I don't want to make my own if it's only going to end up being a small difference. Money and time are both really tight, so I'm trying to find the best value of both. I'm also a rookie at the sewing machine, so it might end up being a pretty frustrating process to assemble the liners. I just want to know if it's worth it for me to make my own, or if I should just order them again

Thanks so much!

Yeah blizzard/anti pill fleece.

I usually get 2 yards, and it's enough for a pan liner and shelf liner...with some left over.

MAKE SURE you check the rack as soon as you walk in for the sales flyer. They usually have good coupons. (like 40% off one non sale item...etc..) I usually use those for the quilted batting that I use in the middle. (I only get a yard of that for one liner...there's extra....not enough for two though..)

Wash and dry the fleece prior to sewing it (I go 3 full wash/dry cycles) that way it does all it's shrinking before assembly.

if you're new to sewing give your self a wide seem allowance - better that the liners are too big than too small.

if you're new to sewing give your self a wide seem allowance - better that the liners are too big than too small.

I agree. That way poop and hay and whatever doesn't make it's way under the liner around the sides. Less "extra" cleanup.. Unless of course you have a chin like mine who pulls the fleece away from a corner cause he likes to sit on the metal pan. :banghead:

@chub chub - one of my boys dea that - I hate it.
There's this woman that makes Piggie bed spreads and they have sides to them that go up and over the edge of pans, but she's not doing chin sized ones at the moment - we're talking about her making me some after New Years as proto types. If I were a better sewer I'd try. I do have the big ones for my Piggies and they are amazing. cage cleaning is so easy with them - I take out eveything and then just lift up the whole liner, shack it into the trash and toss it in the laundry - and but a fresh liner in - no mess in the cage at all.

Back