Questions about Chinchilla pregnancies.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrosler04

Ok, Since I have 2 females that were BOTH housed with a male prior to me getting them, I figured that now would be a great to begin asking questions, researching, and learning.

So first, I knmonw this is unlikely, but is there anyway to tell how far along they are?

Are there any special things i should be doing for them?

Special foods or supplements?

Any suggestions? I know the babies are born & much like guinea pigs, they are fully furred, and have teeth, and eyes open & moving around...

What should I do AFTER the babies arrive?? I know the water bottles, and food bowls, and hay have to be easily accessible for them, and I have to make sure they can't escape the cage..(correct wirespacing & such..which would be???)

Thanks in advance!

Read through the FAQs here in the breeding and baby section. Many of your questions are answered there. No way to tell how far along they might be, when you see babies you know they were pregnant, lol. I would watch for sleeping on their sides, extra water intake as some possible signs they might be pregnant, although some don't show any signs. Put them in a baby safe cage immediately since you have no clue about when they could deliver. Its probably the best idea to house them seperately in baby safe cages (spacing no bigger than 1/2"x 1" or 1/2"x 1/2" - 1"x1" is too big they will escape) because some females do not react well to other females kits, and by not react well I mean could kill them. Make sure there are no males in with them as they could get pregnant again immediately after giving birth. You can give loose alfalfa hay to boost calcium (not much just a small handful). I usually give it every other day or two to my pregnant and nursing females. Make sure you have an evet on hand for possible delivery complications. I hope they arent pregnant for you, but better safe than sorry.

Make sure there are no males in with them as they could get pregnant again immediately after giving birth.

Actually, they can get pregnant again before giving birth, which is why it's imperative that you keep males apart from them from here on out.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

That FAQ should pretty much cover all the basics you need to know about.

Ok,Thanks. The cages, I am pretty sure ARE baby proof, because they were ok for baby guinea pigs.

I have a good vet, who deals with exotics, and she isn't open 24-7, but I have her personal cell-phone number, and she will take emergency cases anytime day or night!

They are all 3 seperated from each other already..the oldest female is a bully, so I had to seperate her & luna, and I wanted charlie seperated.

I will definately read through the FAQ's. thanks...

And i was wondering about the alfalfa, because that is what I did for my guinea pigs whenever we took in a pregnant girl....

I would mark on the calander 111 days after you sepporated them. That way you have a last possible due date for both of them. I offer my chins alfalfa hay and timothy, they love both. But as long as they are on a good quality pellet, the type of hay shouldnt matter much. Good luck with your girls!

Latest posts

Back