questions about cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
i've been thinking of getting rutherford a new cage for a while, and if my job interviews went as well as i thought they did (fingers crossed), i might actually go forward with the purchase.

he currently has a quality cage company townhouse, and while the cage is great, it's really not sturdy and makes too much noises at night. it also creates a lot of mess with shavings and poop bouncing off the shelves and onto the carpet. while i don't mind sweeping up after my little guy, the mess really is overwhelming at times. i'm also not a fan of the door... though big, rearranging the shelves inside his cage has been a hassle.

i'm looking into getting him either a ferret nation 142 (http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-142-F...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1301627666&sr=1-1) or critter nation animal habitat (http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Critt...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1301627966&sr=1-3).

they both look really similar to me, and don't differ that much in price. which is the better choice? and for those that do have ferret nation 142, does it keep wood shavings/beddings in nicely? or i might consider switching to fleece liners because it would eliminate all my sweeping duties.

also, is the chin spin quieter inside the ferret nation 142? how about the flying saucer? what kind of shelves do you put inside the ferret nation?

thanks for your input!

Can't answer all your questions, but one or two.

I have an FN 141 and I sweep my room up twice a day from all the shavings and what not on the floor.

It is really nice to clean, though. I just open the doors and scoop out the shavings with a dustpan, vacuum with a dust buster then wipe down. I love the doors because of that.

Some people like the smaller wiring of the CN but some miss being able to scritch their chins through the wires.

I have wood (pine) shelves in it.

hmm, giving rutherford scritches is what i love about his current cage, so maybe the ferret nation is the cage to go with.

thanks so much for your response!

I think no matter what cage you use there's always going to be a mess on the floor, with fleece liners there's no shavings (unless you use them in a litterbox type thing, I dont) but still poop does get onto the floor. I also have the fn 142 and LOVE it. It's sturdy, quiet at night (it's in my bedroom), and I love love love the huge doors. I prefer it over having the cages with smaller spaces between bars because it just seems so much brighter and not a big dark cage in the corner of my room (of course my crazy fleece helps with the brightness too hehehe) and of course being able to give scritches through the bars too :)

I have a FN 142 and a 141 and love both! The doors open all the way which makes cleaning a breeze. I use the metal Bass pans and fleece liners in both so I don't really have to sweep up shavings except for the shavings that get pushed out of the litter pans. The chin spin I had in the 142 was sooo quiet. The only thing that I could hear was Ruby's little feet bouncing off the wheel.

I buy my shelves/ledges from Whimsy on here. They are a chin rescue so it would be nice to help them out :))

http://www.whimsys-menagerie.com/cageaccessories.htm

whimsy's website seems amazing! i already want to order a few shelves, jump-holes, and bridges from the website. thanks so much for sharing :)

Latest posts

Back