Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinnmyheart

How old should baby chins be sold or given away?

I am just curious.. That's something I never thought of till now..

I know when puppies and kittens are ready to go. But how about baby chinnies?

Kits should be ween from mom at 8 weeks and then you should put them by themselves for 2 to 4 weeks to make sure they are eating on their own. I'm sure every breeder has their own method and theory on it tho.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Normally I wean at 8 weeks, but I've had to pull some kits at 6 weeks in a large litter. Small kits I will leave in as long as 12 weeks or untill they hit 200 grams. I always keep kits 2 weeks after I wean to make sure they are maintaining weight fine.

The breeder I got my chins from says 10-12 weeks and right now I'm chinsitting two 10 week old kits that are still with mom and they still nurse fairly regularly. 6-8 weeks seems way too early but I guess it can depend on a number of factors.

We do 8 weeks, and then keep them at least an additional week to check they're gaining on their own.

They also have to be 250 grams to leave here. We currently have two kits that are 8-9 weeks but not even 175 grams yet (their mom didn't get in milk, and they're doing fine with handfeeding, just not gaining the way I'd like). So even though they're the right age to be separated and almost ready to go home (and they are separated, well, the male is), they will stay here extra time to make sure they're healthy and a good size before they leave. So it's not just the age, for me, I also want to make sure they're a decent size and going to be fine on their own.

Greychins

I think that is a great method. :) Weight on a chin is very important. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I wean at 8 weeks (unless the kits is under 200 grams), keep them for 2 more weeks to be sure they are eating and drinking well on their own, and sell at 10 weeks (unless the kit is under 250 grams - then they stay until they reach that weight).

Latest posts

Back