Question: Sick

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Artemis

I noticed my chinchilla Chi was sleeping a great deal. That was three days ago I have also noticed that he is not moving a great deal. Chi would hop up and greet me or just watch me whenever I was in the room. It did not matter what time of day it was. He hasn't been eating a great deal and he is starting to feel thin. Usually he will eat anything I set in front of him. The only thing I changed was the food he was eating because I'm waiting for his stuff to come in. It was around the time I noticed the lethargy. The other symptoms came after a day or so. Any suggestions would be welcome.

If the chin is lethargic and not eating he needs a vet ASAP, the digestive system shuts down if food is not eaten for a day or so, since you changed food he could have got a bit of gas that could have progressed to bloat and stasis, this is life threatening and he needs drugs only a vet can RX. There is a over the counter drug that can be used but since he is in such bad shape based on your description a vet is your only hope, that means today not tomorrow.

Thank you for your prompt reply I had just decided to call the vet when I saw your answer.

Hopefully you are on the phone with the vet now. This has the potential to be serious. Is he drinking water? Pooping? You may have to go to an emergency vet since it is after hours.

I hope your lil guy was treated & is starting to improve. As a note in case the food runs low again in the future - just offer him lots of extra hay. He'll be fine on a hay-only diet for a day or two, instead of upsetting his tummy with a drastic change in pellets.

Also - when switching foods - many will recommend getting acidphilus capsules (found at most drug stores, just ask the pharmacist). You can open a capsule & sprinkle it over the pellets. It helps digestion and keeps things running smoothly.

Finaly note - being that its late July, has your temps or humidity levels changed drastically? If a chin is uncomfortable (as in temps, humidity, or even digestive upset) they'll slow down, even sometimes stop eating. Once they quit eating, it can be a very difficult battle to regain their health.

Good luck with your lil guy, and please let us all know how he's doing.
~Barb~

Latest posts

Back