Question on wire mesh floor

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelloSweetie

I've read a half inch by half inch is OK if you choose a wire cage
but my cage has a half inch width and 6 inch length spaces.

6 is obviously longer than 1 1/2.

So my problem is, if I cover the bottom wire the tray is useless but if I don't it's dangerous and I can't have that so I would need a different cage anyway.

Cover bottom or new cage?

I would just get a new one, but that's my personal preference. I don't like cleaning wire cages and they are not as safe.

You could cover the bottom with tile, but I myself would just get a new one.

I covered the bottom of the cage with a plexiglass like product. It is the cover for those drop ceiling lights. It bends a bit to fit in the door and is lightweight, but is tricky to cut and not break. (Wear goggles!). Cheap and available at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes.

I find that it is actually easier to clean by not using the tray. I never felt like the wires were easy to clean. This way, you just scoop everything out of the cage and wipe the bottom down.

I also have a smaller emergency cage with a wire bottom and I just covered it with a sheet of cardboard.

If you can't effectively and safely cover the bottom so it's still practical to use, I would get a new one too. Much better in the long run than a twisted or even broken leg.

Thank you, all three of you, I feel like a new cage would be a better investment than trying to alter this one. I want one I know will be safe. Would you be able to suggest some to me?

Ferret Nation/Critter Nation cages are very popular among chin owners (I have one for my boy). They're more expensive but very spacious (especially if you get the two level cage, which is what I have!) You'll likely have to cover (with fleece) or replace the plastic pans it comes with but other than that it's a great overall cage!

The most poplar cages for chins are the Ferret Nation and the Critter Nation. Both are large sturdy cages, the biggest difference is the FN has 1'" bar spacing the CN has 1/2" making the CN kit safe where as the FN is not. To get an idea of the FN check out the Ferret Nation Club thread on here. A single unit is fine for 1-2 chins, but most people go with a double unit, bigger is always better. Also those cages aren't good to go right out of the box you do need to do a few things, like replace or cover plastic pans and remove the ramp ladders.

Quality cage makes cages for chins that are good to go as is though. They can also do custom cages so you can get exactly what you want, but they are pricey.

When looking at cages keep in mind the bare minimum size is 2'x2'x2' or 8 cubic feet. Also you didn't mention what age chin you are getting, but kits under about 4 months can get through 1" bar spacing, or worse, get stuck. You can modify 1" bar spacing cages with hardware cloth to make them kit safe, then remove it when they are bigger.

Another advocate for the FN here! It is seriously the best cage I've ever had, I use to have one for my first chin then stupidly sold it when she died thinking I wouldn't get any more and I had nowhere to store it. I've since managed by sheer luck to get another (their virtually impossible to get here) and this one's going nowhere! I forgot how user friendly they were and so easy to customise. They are huge though so measure up and make sure you have the room! My girl has a two level one all to herself, but even one level is a really good size for one or two chins, especially if you get canny with the setup and utilise all of the space. You need to change the plastic shelves for pine ones and either swap the plastic trays for metal ones or cover them in fleece, but once that is done you will have a really solid sturdy cage

I use a FN too, I love it and recommend it for sure. :))

Even if the wire spacing is safe, you still have to worry about bumble foot and scrubbing the wire clean of pee.

I don't even know how to say how much help you all are! Thank you, especially for the links I will most definity look into these cages. I love how confident and protective the people are here. I'm liking critter nation especially because I'm planning for him to be 3-4 months. Also I have much fleece because I was preparing to cover ledges and a pan anyway(before getting the new cage) so covering anything there should be plenty!

I have this cage and the bottom was not chin safe, so I covered it with some wire mesh to make the squares too small for them to injure themselves on. Had them over a year with no problems

I have been through 3 different cages a generic ferret cage where the cage sat in the bottom pan, a feisty ferret cage that I had covered with fleece and tiles since it had bottom wire that was very dangerous, and for my birthday my DH got me a triple critter nation with bass pans to replace the plastic ones that I love!

The critter nation is roomy and super easy to clean. Not to mention the double doors are a fantastic luxury when I need to do something in the cage.

Latest posts

Back