question on BV kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamlite

I have a 7 week old black velvet kit out of a 1st place dark black velvet female and a mosaic male. She has very distinct paw striped and a face mask but that's it! No veiling at all on her body. This is the 1st BV I've had born. I have heard they can grow into their color but have never seen any pictures. I was hopeing to grow her out for breeding but if she isn't going to possibly grow into a good color... obviously its easier to find homes for kits. Sdo please post any pics of your black velvets and your experiances growing them out.

Chance you take with velvets and growing any kit out really - if it's not veiling you have to wait and see how it grows in, it's density or size...There's really nothing about a 7 week old kit that would tell you for sure it's going to be of breeding material of any color really. Some ranchers might be able to tell who've done it for years or closely watched lines, but I wouldnt buy a 7wk old kit as a breeder from anyone :)

If you like the lines hang on to it and see what happens. I sold too many kits on first glance that seemed like they weren't going to be that spectacular or I just had a buyer waiting and then they grew into amazing animals. But I also held on to some that just didn't get there in terms of size or some other quality and then placed them in pet homes.

I really had no problem placing animals of any age but not sure about your market. Most of the time if I show a pet buyer a spastic kit or a calmer 6mo, they pick the 6mo old almost every time.

Rhonda, how old is the kit in the first picture? I ask because while some bv's do take a bit to grow out...all of mine have had some veiling by 7weeks. I know this because I wean at 8weeks (sometimes 6 or 7 depending) and they all wean with veiling.

Back