Question/Advice on Holding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

Looking for some feedback on here. Luna seems to be adjusting very well. She seems very comfortable with me at this point, she jumps on my hands and arms, she allows me to touch her without flinching or running from me, she comes to see me at the cage door, lets me touch and hold the base of her tail and in general doesn't seem fearful of me.

I want to get her used to be handled/held/picked up, so I'm trying to pick her up once a day. I try to hold her close to my body, and keep hold of her tail to keep her from jumping away from me. Of course she struggles and makes an unhappy squeak here and there, but there has been no biting/spraying/fur slip, and she's just as happy to climb on my hands and come up to me again when I release her.

So my question is whether I'm taking the right approach and doing the right things with her. I assume she's not being traumatized because she continues to interact and not show fear, and she continues to let me touch and hold her tail without any issue.

My only real goal as I work with her is to get used to being handled and held enough that if there is an emergency or medical reason she needs to be restrained, it will be as easy as possible.

Thanks for your help!

Some chins just don't like to be held. It's rather rare to have that chin that will just let you hold them for periods of time with no struggle. Three of my four boys are ok being picked up but do not want to be held. My Gus Gus will jump to my shoulder and just sit there, but if I try to hold him he's having no part of it. I'm sure someone with a little more experience may chime in about your process. However, my assumption would be if she cacking at you when you force handle, you may in fact be doing the opposite and convincing her this is not something she wants. The cack or bark is a sign of annoyance,

Also if I remember correctly, your chins are still pretty new to your home right? Chins take time, and a lot of times months to be fully comfortable. Two of my boys are 7 months old and been with me since being 2 months old, and they are just now getting to the point that they really trust me and enjoy me touching them. My recommendation would be to take things a little slower, stick with just talking to them everyday and letting them crawl on your hand. Let her decide when she's ready for physical interaction other than just crawling on your hand. I learned with my boys forcing anything just makes them want to not do it even more. They can be quite the little rebellious brats lol. Good luck!

All my Mimi does is struggle. She doesn't bite/spray/fur slip/ or make noises. I still assume she doesn't like it though. I only hold her when I have to, or when I need to get her out of her cage so I can clean. I've only had her for about three months now so she probably needs more time to adjust. Though she sure does love ear and chin scratches.

But it's weird because if my boyfriend holds her she just sits there perfectly still in his hands. Makes me feel a bit jealous sometimes. haha

Thank you both for the input. She is very much what a chin is, a free spirit that doesn't want to be held back, lol. Just not sure if there is some logic that if they learn to expect being handled, they get used to it. I doubt they are ever going to want to be picked up if they never are.

And you are right, she is very new to my home, and we have plenty of time to figure things out. I just don't want to be doing anything that will be bad for her. :)

Also if you're worried about handling simply for transportation reasons, you could always try getting her used to the carrier. My boys are big on being picked up, but they're perfectly fine with their carrier. I simply put it in the bottom of the cage and they go right in. General experience is they they take to inanimate objects way faster than humans.

I can't remember if you said how long you've had her, but sometimes it can take a few months for them to get really comfortable. As others have said, some chins just don't like to be held. Its a good sign that she's running all over you. You might just want to settle with that for now. Right now it may be best since she feels like she's more in control. Once she's been with you for a bit longer, then maybe you could try really holding her. Just an idea.

Thanks for the advice! She's doing really well and is happy and friendly, so that's what matters most right now. It's really hard not to rush them, when they sit there looking all cute and adorable!

My only real goal as I work with her is to get used to being handled and held enough that if there is an emergency or medical reason she needs to be restrained, it will be as easy as possible.
I do this with all of my chinchillas. The best way to do that is pressure and release. Don't ever release her until she quits struggling and completely relaxes (relaxes, not stops). The second she relaxes, relax your hands. She will learn very, very quickly that relaxation in your hands equals being let go. If you do it a couple times a day for a week or two you'll find she relaxes instantly and waits for you to allow her to go. You can expand the period of time she waits by repeating it if she tries to leave too soon. You can also teach them to lay on their backs this way. Useful if you have someone that has chronic foot problems. :))

Of my 11 chins, 6 of them were about 8 weeks old when they came to my home. I've always referred to these babies as "flying baby squirrel chins". Most were skittish for awhile, totally understandable as they were in a new home with new people. I think in time, and as Luna gets older, she'll start to relax a bit and may even let you hold her for some time. I currently have 2 nuzzlers that will burrow into my neck and just stay there for however long I want. 4-5 more that won't nuzzle but will let me hold them without them squirming or trying to get away and the rest are just hit or miss but tolerate me. :))

Thanks for the input, Sandi and Spoof. I will continue to work with her, but definitely keep things slow and steady. She's been so much fun already as I see her personality come out. It's such a joy, and a well needed distraction for me!

I do this with all of my chinchillas. The best way to do that is pressure and release. Don't ever release her until she quits struggling and completely relaxes (relaxes, not stops). The second she relaxes, relax your hands. She will learn very, very quickly that relaxation in your hands equals being let go. If you do it a couple times a day for a week or two you'll find she relaxes instantly and waits for you to allow her to go. You can expand the period of time she waits by repeating it if she tries to leave too soon. You can also teach them to lay on their backs this way. Useful if you have someone that has chronic foot problems. :))

Ah thank you for this. My Cesare is a chronic wiggler when I try and pick him up and I've been wondering how to go about training him a bit more. Our old chin was so against holding that I was never allowed to pick him up (plus living at home with the parentals, their words was law ha!) so this has been a bit of a lurning curve for me.

This is such helpful info - we've got a chinchilla friend for the first time and are learning a lot through posts like this about what to do with them, what to feed them and how to love them! Thanks!!

Back