Question about twigs...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

Pebbles loves her apple sticks, but seems to only chew the bark off of them and then she is done with them. Is this normal? Do you guys normally take out the sticks after a night or wait for them to finish chewing them up? Every once in a while she will chew one down to a point or into little shreds, but not very often.

Both of my rabbits and Zipper only chew the bark off. But Ezio and Altair will do random gnawings on the wood. I leave the sticks in everyone's cages until I clean their cage.

Many chins only chew the bark off. I wish mine did! Some people's chins turn the sticks into sawdust, that's how you get your moneys worth haha

My chins only chew the bark off apple sticks and completly chew up a willow stick, i usually take them out when i clean their cage :D

Many chins only chew the bark off. I wish mine did! Some people's chins turn the sticks into sawdust, that's how you get your moneys worth haha

Hee, I wish Hen would reduce them to sawdust! He's too lazy to chew sticks much, he only takes the bark off, and then only if it's just a twig- he ignores bigger sticks, too much effort apparently.
I take used ones out when I clean his cage, too, rather than right after he's done with them.

My guys all chew the bark off the twigs. The twiglets and skinnier twigs sometimes get pulverized. Ninja likes to snap those in half and throw them out of his cage. For the most part the thicker twigs all get their bark eaten off, then they get tossed aside and if I don't take them out of the cage they end up chunked out of the cage onto the floor.

Rhino eats the bark off coins and twigs/sticks then tends to ignore those pieces for a while, then he'll go back to gnawing on them. so i have a corner of the bottom of his cage i call 'the wood graveyard', lol, and any 'used' wood goes in a pile there until it is either chewed/eaten entirely, or becomes unsafe (sharp edges, splintering, etc).

i have a corner of the bottom of his cage i call 'the wood graveyard', lol, and any 'used' wood goes in a pile there until it is either chewed/eaten entirely, or becomes unsafe (sharp edges, splintering, etc).

I'll have to create a "graveyard"! LOL I clean her cage every evening so most of the chewed up sticks get thrown away which seemed like a waste. Maybe she will have a new interest in them if they are in a different bowl. :neener:

Most of my boys only chew the bark off, some times I get a shredder. I remove the small twigs nightly. when they get the thicker ones i leave them in for an extra night but still give them a new one.

My dad said that they smell really good when they burn, so I have been collecting all my discards sticks and eventually will use as kindling for the fireplace.

Latest posts

Back