Question About Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
I give plain shredded wheat as an occassional treat and also whole rosehips. Recently I've seen offered (online) hibiscus flowers (dried) and also red clover flowers (dried).

Where can I get whole oats from? I am guessing this is NOT the same as Quaker....

Are all of these things safe for my chin?

I assume you could use Quaker oats, just make sure they're NOT the quick-cook kind. Oats are oats.

The plain shredded wheat is fine. I give those to my chins as well.

As for the herbs, I don't personally give them to my chins, because as I understand it, they have certain effects on the chins, and so I think they should be given only if there's a purpose for them, not just as a treat. That said, going from this website: http://www.serillachinchillas.net/botanicalherbsinfo.htm.

"Hibiscus Flowers - Vitamin C, Give after birth of having kits, helps keep colds away and soothes colds. Helps relax the uterus, lowers blood pressure, calms the nerves."

"Red Clover Blossom - Used as a nerve tonic and a sedative for exhaustion, used for cough, bronchitis and Wheezing, Acne. Helps with milk come for moms. Blood purifier. May help prevent some cancers."

So..... I would personally only give them for those reasons, like I said, I wouldn't do them for treats, but that's just me...

I use the rolled OLD FASHIONED Quaker Oats. I know a few members on here sell whole oats still in their "shell". I have both here for my chins. I do not give wheat or shredded wheat as I have heard of chins have a reaction to them, so I avoid them.

I used to give the whole rosehips but I switched to crushed and sifted and the chins seem to enjoy them much more when that scratchy inside and seeds are not there.

I have the hibiscus here and I don't often give it to them and just a pinch here and there. I never used the other you are talking about.

Try contacting Hedgemom on here, I know she gives her chins certain herbs and I'm sure she can tell you more about the ones you are inquiring about.

Back