Question About The Saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillachris

Student of my chinchillas
Hi All,
So, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my purchase of a new wheel for my two chins! I've been researching for a month and I've decided I either want to buy a ChinSpin or a Flying Saucer. I've heard so many great things about the Saucer, but I'm hesitant to purchase it. The reason for my hesitation is, I'm afraid my one of my two chinchillas, BoBo, won't be able to figure out how to use the flying saucer. BoBo is what I like to call "delightfully dim witted." He's cute, but he can be a little dull when it comes to learning new things, and I've heard that some chins never learn how to use the saucer. I would HATE to spend $75 on a saucer and find out that only one of my two chins would be able to use it. So, what do you guys think? Is it a possibility that BoBo wouldn't know how to use the saucer? Do you think I should be better safe than sorry and buy the ChinSpin, which I know BoBo would know how to use? NAy input would be appreciated!

I personally would buy the flying saucer over any other wheel. Your chins will figure it out eventually, especially if one picks it up sooner than the other. I think its a great investment.

My female chin practically lives on her saucer. My male took a little longer but I heard him plodding away every night on it. If anything scares them they start running on it. Must be a good stress reliever.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 16
I too have come to prefer the saucer. Easy to clean and quieter for me anyway(I do mount mine securely to a wood board mounted to back of my cage).It did take a little longer for some of my guys to figure it out, but everyone has eventually.

Everyone, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate it for quietness?

Easy to clean and quieter for me anyway(I do mount mine securely to a wood board mounted to back of my cage).
mercynursie, how did you mount the board to the cage, can you post a picture? I've heard of other people who do that, but I can't figure out how I'd mount it.

I got Maci a flying saucer when I first got her. She had it for many months and never used it.

I got her a chin spin after that and she hopped right on and started using it.

I sold my saucer. The positive is people are always looking for wheels, so they are easy to sell. After putting the chin spin in I like it better. It seems to take less space.

I have about equally saucers and chin spins at the rescue... the chin spins are used exponentially more. That said... all my chins spins were purchased... versus I got all but one saucer donated to the rescue... due to people's chins not using em.

Some of those people said they left the saucer in the cage for months/years to give the chin time to learn, never did. That said, I've put chins in a cage that have NEVER seen a saucer in their lives and some can jump right on and go. But it really depends on the chin. I wouldn't generalize and say they'll all learn it, cause some just might not....

That all said... I have never had a chin come in the rescue and not figure out a chin spin. It's like they just get it, no problem.

I have two flying saucers right now saving up for two more. My boys run on their flying saucers every single night. My oldest waits for the lights to go out at bedtime then runs and if I turn the light back on he stops, turn it off again he starts running and so on, it's a bit of a game at night. My boys love them though, it took my 8 year old about a month to start using it consistently but he's very timid by nature, anything new in the cage he avoids for awhile, now he runs every single night. It's pretty quiet, my guys are kind of heavy footed (they sound like elephants hopping around in their cages) and their cages are in my bedroom and I sleep through their running. Also my one saucer has been in constant use for several years and still works like new and is still very quiet. I think they're worth every cent and I love them. Though I've never had a chin spin so I can't compare. Hope that helps some.

I think it's possible that a lot of the people who say their chin never used it just didn't catch them using it. Mine don't run on their wheels until late. I didn't think they were using the silver surfer at all but my husband stays up a little later than I do or wakes up in the middle of the night to take the dogs out and catches them on it. Since they don't often pee in their wheels and their poop just rolls off/out unlike hedgehogs there really is no evidence left that they used it.

Ha. My boyfriend stands at the door turning the light off and on until I tell him to stop. I think my female chin and my boyfriend enjoy trying to catch her running. I agree some chins won't like either type. My male took about 2 months to start running but he's getting faster every day.

Thank you all for responding! I've decided I'll get the saucer for them! I'll be purchasing it tomorrow :)

Sorry it's taken so long but posting pics/computer work is not something I ever have any luck with! I did take some pics of the back of one of my double stack when I cleaned and I'll try to post an older pic from front. Sorry not smart enough to get pics from front moved to this post but there are pics under the title of Help with Noise.:)061.jpg062.jpg

Back