Question about picky Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damanta

I'm feeding my two chins, Angel & Demon, Sunaturals Chinchilla food. After reading through the information on here it definitely seems as though that is not a good food. I've tried to put them on a plain pellet before, but Angel is a brat and refuses to eat the plain pellets. She'll eat them in the Sunnaturals food, but seemed to go on strike with a switch. She would still be eating hay, but not the pellets so I've given up every time because I don't want her to get sick. Demon will eat anything I offer him, pellet or mix. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get Angel to eat a better quality food?

Have you tried Oxbow? I have yet to have a chinchilla refuse Oxbow. It smells very fresh and the chins I've had on it really dig in and love the pellets.

The best way to switch Angel over is to do a cold turkey switch and offer more hay. Picky chins will continue to eat the food they like better until they have no other option. As many people on this forum will tell you, it's like feeding a kid candy or vegetables. When given a choice, the kid will ALWAYS choose candy. When no option is given, the kid will eventually eat the vegetables. For chins it's healthier for them to NOT be on a pellet with anything mixed in. Vegetables and fruits are very harmful to their digestive systems. Their "vegetables" would be straight pellets and hay. ;)

The chins I've had have always liked Oxbow as well (though I don't use it, too expensive).

I agree with Tabitha. What it sounds like you need to do is a cold switch. One day just take away her old food and put in the new, and give her lots of hay. When she realizes that she's either going to eat the new food or not eat... well, the grand majority of the times the chin will start eating the new food.

I will definitely try that, but for reference...what should I do if she refuses? Also, is there anything I can do to prevent or reduce upset tummies after a switch?

Just continue to put in fresh healthy pellets daily along with plenty of hay. She'll be ok if she's just eating hay for a few days as long as you see her poop normally. A good idea would be to give her a little bit of Lifeline daily (http://chocolatechinchillas.com/id6.html) or some acidophilus.

Latest posts

Back