Question About Pellets...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ristarwen

Would pellets, as long as they are in a dry, cool, airtight container, actually go bad or stale? I would think that if they are dry, they can't mold or otherwise rot. If they're cool, volatile compounds in the feed (such as some fatty acids) are less likely to "evaporate" off. If it's in an airtight container, nothing should be able to get into the feed and spoil it and there is an even lesser chance of nutrient loss.

I would think it would be like the pasta in your pantry...it's a dried food product, and it can last a long time if stored properly... And, extreme case, I know they've found grain several thousand years old they've been able to make bread from.

So really, would pellets actually go bad? And, if so, how long would it take? A dried feed, if stored properly, should last almost indefinitely, right?

Yes, they do go bad. Most pellets have a freshness date of 6 months past the mill date. They don't instantly go bad, but yes, the nutrients contained within them start to dwindle and you are giving your chin less and less of what they need. In effect, empty nutrition.

There was a nutritionist that spoke on this at the Shindig several years ago. People have also contacted Mazuri and Oxbow and spoken with their people, and got the same answer as well.

Back