Question about Oxbow Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustbunnies

Mama of Pepper and Bunny
I was wondering....

On the bag of oxbow pellets there is an expiration date, but not a mill date. How long before the expiration date is the mill date for this food? 6 months?

The expiration date is 2 years from milling (5 and 10lb bags). 50 lb bags - 1 year from milling.
Pellets should be used within 6 months after opening.

Wow, okay, thanks. I buy the little bag for my two chins. My bag is a little older than I would have liked, but not old....it says Dec 18, 2010 (I thought it said 09 when I asked 6 mo). I saw another pet store had a Feb 2011 (a couple months newer). I suppose I really should order it from someone to get even fresher. I wouldn't need it more than 6 mo for the small bag anyway. I know the fresher the better.

I get one 50 lb. bag direct from Oxbow each month, and yes, the 50 lb. bags are milled one year before the expiration date. The most recent shipment that I received was milled one month ago. :))

I was just going to post a question about this!
I got a bag severely discounted at a pet store cause it's a little past the "use by" date. The date is September 4th. Do you think this is safe to feed to my chin?

I probably wouldn't use it, but that's just me. I'm not sure how others feel.

I got a bag severely discounted at a pet store cause it's a little past the "use by" date. The date is September 4th. Do you think this is safe to feed to my chin?

The food doesn't suddenly go bad once it hits September 4. What happens is a slow diminishing of the nutrients in the food. You can safely feed your chin the "expired" food since it's so close to the current date. The loss of nutrients would be negligible at this point. Just feed lots of hay along with it. I wouldn't feed it 3 months from now, but for right now until you get your new order in the mail (saw your other thread), it will be fine.

I guess the same would apply to Oxbow Bunny Basics T and 15/23? I buy 10lb bags for my bunnies! My chins hate Oxbow, so they eat Mazuri, lol! Thanks for the info! Good to know!

Latest posts

Back