Question about overheating and ears!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenMcStay

Chillamom
My chin likes to lay on her side while sleeping, and she does it pretty often, but recently I have moved to my college house and it is pretty hot up here. I have a 3 speed fan going in front of her cage, and it is on the highest setting, but it doesn't seem to help very much. She has been sleeping on her side almost every time I look at her, and her ears are always sort of slicked back against her head. I don't know if that is a sign of overheating, but it sure seems like it to me. Her ears have not once gotten red though, so I am unsure as to what is going on. What can be compared to the color that the ears turn when a chin is overheating? They are just their normal pink/nude color, and have never really gotten any darker than that. What other things should I look for that usually occur in chins while they are overheating?

Thanks so much!

A fan isn't going to help a chin because they don't sweat. So all the fan is doing is blowing the hot air around.

Some chins just naturally sleep on their sides. Several of mine even sleep on their backs with their legs in the air (but darn, always wake up before I can get a picture). And I guarantee for mine, it's not too hot, cause I'm always freezing down where the chins are kept. The ears against the head isn't indicative of overheating either, a lot of chins just sleep like that.

Typically, red ears, or very visible veins in the ears are how you can tell the chin is hot. You'd be able to tell the difference between the normal pink-ish ears and if she was hot. It'd be a completely different color. Do you have a thermostat or thermometer in the room? It'd be good to know exactly how hot it is where you are.

I've been told by several different people that actually pointing a fan at a chinnie does more harm than good. I know firsthand that, when I forget to turn my "sleeping fan" (I only use it when I sleep because it's loud and blocks out the chin's noises) off in the morning, when I come home from work my chins have watery eyes. I've also been told that fans can contribute to URI in chinnies.

If you can't use a window unit, try one of the homemade a/c's on you tube. If the room feels hot to you, not wearing a full length fur coat, then it's got to be hot for your chin, regardless of whether the ears are red or not. I always judge the chin barn by how I feel. If i feel warm in a long sleeved shirt, then the a/c gets cranked. If I'm slightly chilled in a long sleeved shirt, it's where it should be temp wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwplxoJSDw

I would use a larger box fan and a larger cooler. The larger the cooler, the more ice you can stuff in there and the longer it will last.

Thanks so much guys!! I've purchased a window AC unit, so she should be just fine. I also bought some extra marble slabs to put in the refrigerator so I can switch off and keep her chin-chillin'

Latest posts

Back