Question about maturity

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

I took in two male chins who were born in January sometime so they are about 11 months old now. When I got them they had not reached sexual maturity but I know they have now. They got the LPCB if you know what I mean. ;) Anyhow my concern is if they are growing to be the size they ought to be. They have grown but they still seem on the small side to me. I give them Mazuri pellets to eat, fresh timothy hay free fed, and they get treats. I can't think its nutrition that is the problem (at least I hope not). Maybe it is not even a problem. It's just they are both standard gray males and I have a beige male (lives in a separate cage) that is like twice their size! And as I remember these two lived with other chins (mom and other siblings) and I remember the others being bigger. Could be a problem due to inbreeding or something I suppose....

Anyhow the long and short of it is...At what age do male chins reached full size? And what is a standard full size and/or weight for a standard gray male chin? I know all are going to be a little different but I'm hoping to find out the range. Plus IS there a difference between my beige male and these two because they are different types of chins?

If their nutrtional needs are being met, then it's all about the genetics. They are the size they are meant to be. If you can't feel ribs sticking out or other bony protuberances, then they are just going to be smaller than your other guy is.

There is no uniform weight or stop growing date for any chin. When they stop growing, they are done, and whatever size they end up is most likely genetically where they were meant to be.

Also, if you are thinking of them in terms of other females you have seen full grown, males are much smaller (obviously depending, but generally speaking)

Back