Question about ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtpie61282

I got this email from someone who purchased a chin from me a year ago and she had some questions about their ears and feet.
All I could tell her was that the chins ears are supposed to be dry and paper like, and their feet should have calluses, as long as they aren't cracked and bleeding, I also explained bumble foot. But figured I would post her email and see if I could get some opinions from all of you guys :)

"A couple of weeks ago, I took both Chins to the vet (specifically, Cats and Critters in Rochester) because I was concerned about the way their ears looked--especially Sprinkles. My main fear is fungus; a culture was collected and I'm waiting to hear the results with crossed fingers for a negative, lol.
You see, the ears of both Sprinkles and Truffles look, well, dry--that's really the only word I can use to describe it, and I know that, yes, the ears can become dry, but I thought it was a good idea to take them in regardless--get an annual checkup for overall health, etc.
Of course, I went to Cats and Critters due to the information I found on their site--how they seem to specialize in only cats and the smaller animals--but I would love to know where you take your own chins, or if there is a specific vet you might recommend.
However, I'm still very concerned for Sprinkles, because it appears as if there is severely dry skin, or some sort of buildup on the inside of the ears, which I don't believe was present when she was examined. :-/ I can try to send a couple of pics if that might help, just let me know.
The thing is, if this isn't a fungus issue, and is merely dry skin, I'd *still* like to do something to help them. The vet seemed to not like the idea of putting any sort of moisturizer on their feet (I'm also concerned about calluses), and she also really couldn't offer a solution to the dry ears, except to consult with the breeder as far applying something to the ears, which is exactly my question(s): Do you, or have you, experienced such a problem with your chins? Would *you* recommend any sort of ointment, etc., to relieve them of such dry skin? "

Any opinions would be appreciated. even reinforcing what I already told her. I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

pictures would help us determine if it is just dry ears or if there is another issue.

bag balm (in the little green tin) is recommended for dry ears and feet. many members here use and suggest it. you just want to dab a little and rub it in really well. chin feet need to be a bit dry to withstand all the hopping around they do, so don't go overboard with the bag balm. just use a little when necessary.

Ok, I have some pictures, I have to see if I can post them without going through a secondary site like Photobucket.....
They look fairly normal to me, second pic shows a small area of dryness, the fungal culture came back negative she told me.
I mentioned using Bag Balm sparingly.

pics to come....

Sprinks_InnerEarDryTexture.jpg

Sprinks_InnerEar_DryorScalyPatches.jpg

Sprinks_BackofEar.jpg

Last edited:
The look like normal, adult chin ears to me. Maybe a little on the dry side.

Young chins have soft skin and ears. The older the chin gets, the drier and scalier the ears look, just like human hands.

Now those spots on the inside are built up from not shedding the skin, or when they scratched and it healed and hasn't shed yet. You can take some warm water on a paper towel and get the ear wet, then rub it off if you like, otherwise it will come off naturally as they scratch. It just occurred to me that might be where the vet took the scrapings - that thickening is a natural reaction to skin damage.

All this said, if you are in a very cold or very hot climate and use the a/c and heater extensively it does dry out the air. Dusting more than once a week will cause unusually dry skin. Instead of putting bag balm on the ears or masking the problem just cut back on the dusting. If you are in the desert, once every two weeks is fine so long as your chin looks clean. There were times in Eastern WA I went three weeks without dusting. The unusual extra calluses on the feet is a sign that they might leave the dust in, or leave it on the bottom of the cage where the chin can walk through it multiple times a day. It dries the feet out, they naturally crack and get tougher. Imagine if you dug your hand in chin dust twice a day, every day for a month. Your skin would be dry, cracked and look ancient! Mine do after handling just once a week... but that could be age creeping up on me. :p

The vet seemed to not like the idea of putting any sort of moisturizer on their feet

Edited to add - the vet is right. You shouldn't be moisturizing their feet. Calluses build up due to use and if you moisturize it you are opening the path for actual damage to occur. Think about what happens when your feet get wet at the beach and you put your shoes on for normal walking. Soft skin + normal use = ouchies.

Calluses are not the same as bumblefoot.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, thats what I figured. I thought they looked like normal chin ears to me. I recommended the bag balm if it continues and she has exhausted all the other suggestions that you mentioned.
I don't know how often she is dusting, so that may be one of the reasons.

Latest posts

Back