question about ear tags

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
Is it possible for someone to make ear tags for me and me put them on my new chins I purchased strictly for identification purposes ? I can not tell any of my standard females apart and some of my beige girls and i do not want to mix them up. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could do this for me as soon as possible. If you could just pm me a price and i will give you the info for them.

On the subject of ear tags I am curious: Do they actually pierce the ear and hurt the chin? I've seen them in photos and have always been curious about them, we used to band our budgies for identification but I don't know anything about tagging chins.

yes the ear is pierced like it is done for calves. does it hurt the chin? well I guess to a certain extent. I guess we can compare it to someone piercing a babies ears.

Does it need to be done at an early age or at any time in the chins life? Would they outgrow it if it was done very young whilst their ears are still growing?

You can do it at an early age and gauge yourself to leave some place for the ear to grow into, as you can do it later in life.
I am sure some will chime in to indicate when they do it and how.

I have tagged a few at weaning, most I tag between 5-8 months. I have not tagged any chins over a year old but I don't see why you couldn't.

Yes, the tag pierces the ear. I am sure they feel it but I could not say if it hurts. I have had a few criers, but they are the ones that complain just because they're being held. Most of them don't even flinch when they're tagged.

On the weanlings, I leave room for the lobe to grow, but on the adults I put the crease of the tag right up against the edge of their ear. Less chance of getting ripped out.

Yes it pierces through the ear age doesn't matter. It doesn't appear to hurt them and most don't seem to notice. Only had a few bleed a little, whites I was prepping for show of course.

Some of the old tags were 4x the size of the ones we have now and they'd tag the chin every time it went to show. You'd get them with 2 or more on occasion.

Where to tag is somewhat important. There really isn't a standard per se but it's best if the judge can't tell who the animal belongs to.

Some of the old tags were 4x the size of the ones we have now and they'd tag the chin every time it went to show. You'd get them with 2 or more on occasion.

Do they remove them between shows? They must not have too many nerve endings in the ears if they don't complain about being tagged, I just looked at my boys ears and one has very thin ears whilst the other two have thicker ears, so maybe it feels different on a case by case basis.

Cheers for the information, it's always great to learn more about the showing/breeding side of things, even if that is not something I am involved in :D

Do they remove them between shows?
No, that was how you knew you got an animal that went to nationals back in the day. Unless the tags get ripped out they're usually there for the life of the chin. :))

Back