Question About Ear Gunk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
Xander has really ratty looking ears, but he won't let me near them to rub in Vaseline to get the stuff off. Is that stuff harmful to his health, or just unsightly? If it's harmful I can take him to the vet and have him lightly gassed so that I can get at his ears and get it off.

So... asking him politely to stand still hasn't worked. Hmm... how ratty are they? Dry? Fully encrusted with stuff? And what stuff are you talking about - spare products of anointing or poops?

It is probably just a gunk buildup which if so, will not hurt him in the least. It is cosmetic more than harmful. If by chance it is fungus, then it should be checked out. I've had some rescues/rehomes come in with ears that I swore had to be fungus and a week later with some rubs, the ratty edges and fingers came right off.

Some of them get a gunk build up very quickly and others never do. My Peaches who was an absolute neat freak had to have her ears cleaned on a weekly basis or she had gunk building up. Don't know where the dirt ever came from cause it certainly was never on her. lol

If he won't let you rub vasaline in, try just giving the ear a swipe every day. It will take quite a while but the gunk still should loosen. You can also try wearing a glove on the hand you use to touch his ears. Sometimes with some protection from quills you can wiggle a finger into the ear area.

Personally, unless I really thought it was fungus, I wouldn't gas one just to have their ears cleaned. There is always a risk from gassing.

Good luck

Try doing while he is having a bath. That seems to be the only time I can touch Rufus' ears. At least then about a few days later, some of the gunk falls off and keeps the waxy build up to a minimum. To be clear to anyone else reading this thread, we are talking about the edges of the ear (nothing to do with the inside).

I will try that. Xander hasn't yet gotten the memo that hedgies don't like to curl up in the bath, and often ends up with a face full of water when I bathe him. For that reason, I keep his baths to the absolute minimum... but he is starting to get a little ripe. I'll try to get at his ears next time he's in the tub!

Latest posts

Back