question about bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheltiefan

I posted in the emergancy page about chi chi's eye trouble.
I am puting this ointment on her. Her eye is not goopy anymore. But the only thing I can think of why she got this is I changed her bedding. I always use carefreash ever since I have had her. Well I was short on cash so I got pine bedding. That is the only new thing in her cage that I can really think of that would cause any problems. She likes to dig in her bedding and hide her face. (lol silly girl ) So did the pine bedding maybe cause the problem? is she allergic maybe? I ran out to the store just now and got some carefresh and changed her bedding.

One more thing I can also think of that is new in her cage is a toy with coconut shell. Its her first time ever having a coconut shell. Could that cause the problem?

does the package of pine bedding you picked up state on it that it is kiln dried? if not, that could be the source of the trouble, since kiln drying makes the shavings safe for chins.

I know the pine shavings we use for the pee boxes in our cages is very dusty. The vet recommended the Aspen shavings as well, saying it was less dusty. Maybe your poor chinny got some dust and/or small particles of shavings in the eye, causing the issue. Speedy recovery wishes!

Im sorry I thought it was pine. I went to look at the bag and its Aspen. Doesn't say anything about it being kiln dry

I personally use pine, as I got a bad batch of Aspen just once, but this was with birds not chinchillas, so stick with pine. Just wondering if anyone has the same problem with their Aspen as I do with pine. Sometimes, I'll get a bag that is very small, more like dust than shavings. How small is the aspen, and constancy?

I dont think Carefresh is good either. Because its paper, theres little fibers that fall off it...could be bothering her. Maybe go to a fabric store and get a cheap few yards of fleece and fold it on the bottom...? Just an option...

If I buy a bag of Aspen from PetSmart or PetCo, it's generally dusty and really dry. BUT, there's a family owned pet store near my apartment that sells a different brand which has practically no dust and smells and feels a lot fresher. I'm hesitant to use the word moist, as it's definitely kiln dried, but that's the best word I can come up with at the moment. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I can certainly look it up when I stop slacking at work and get home tonight. :)

I am planning on using fleece once my imcome tax come. I just saying that she never had a problem until i used the aspen. So Im wondering if the aspen could be the cause. I have never used aspen ever so not really sure how to tell if its smaller than usual or duster than usual. I guess its just normal

I dont think Carefresh is good either. Because its paper, theres little fibers that fall off it...could be bothering her. Maybe go to a fabric store and get a cheap few yards of fleece and fold it on the bottom...? Just an option...

In terms of dustiness, Carefresh is no worse than pine or aspen shavings. In fact, I've always found Carefresh to be significantly LESS dusty than shavings.

Back