Quality Cage Chin Mansion question?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Okay so for any of you guys that has the QC Chin mansion...have you had a problem with your chins chewing the plastic that goes around the door of the cage??? I have had my cage for almost a year now and just the other day noticing this?!? I have seen my boys have discovered this too and see a chew chew marks but nothing dramatic like chunks out but this does concern me. I have never seen them chew at this so it could have happened when they were little and now pay no attention to it. But again, should I just leave it alone or what? Has any one else seen this? I love the cage and the company does an excellent job but this made me raise my eyebrows.:hmm:

You have to expect they'll chew anything plastic they have access too. I believe QC has an option for metal edging as well, and when I had mine, I chose that. It just depends on what you ordered at the time. Keep it or remove it; its up to you.

Would had been nice if they would had told me I had that option after paying all that money now im afraid to remove it and ill damage the cage.

I don't have one of those cages but it does look like on the website under "Parts & Tools" the "General" link you can order the metal door guards. So you could just order the metal ones and then remove the plastic ones when the metal ones arrive.

I've had mine for years and they have nibbled, but nothing serious. If you are concerned, buy the metal covers. Mine aren't big plastic chewers so I'm not worried.

Thank you very much for the feedback, if I see more dramatic damage I may order the other metal parts but I really think they dont mess with it anymore

I have martins cages that had the same plastic around the door and it definitely didn't last long. They chewed every last one off. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

I feel like those guards are more for our benefit than theirs, say, so we don't snag a shirt on the cage. I have some QCs and a Martins - the plastic guards were either chewed or pulled off (by the critter) long ago. I never replaced them, and I would see no reason to, personally. My cages (and I would think this would apply for others as well) aren't jagged or pointy without the guards, so I see no reason to replace.

Back