QC or FN cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momenteller

Hi all. I am new to the forum and new to chinchillas. We just adopted a 4 month old white mosaic chin last weekend and named her Chelsea. Like many new owners on here, I've discovered the set up I have for Chelsea is all wrong! I'm starting to research new cages, and am a little overwhelmed by the number of posts on here.

Could anyone summarize for me why it is best to get a particular cage? I am leaning towards the QC Chinchilla Mansion starter set. It seems I will save money ultimately since it comes with a wheel, etc. But so many chin owners on here seem passionate about their Ferret Nation cage. I'm hoping to get it right this time. Any advice you can give me will help!

I personally would prefer a QC. The ferret nation looks like a prison to me, and there's the hastle of getting the base pans for it. Either cage is great though, but remember,the QC is FAR easier to assemble and more portable. But people love the FN as well, so really, it's just up to what you like more.

can you tell me what the base pans are for? i've seen this term a few times now and not sure what it means. is it so there's a place to put the bedding?

I totally vote FN! I love my FNs, they are great, have huge doors, look like furniture, not a cage.

Momenteller- bass pans are to keep the bedding in, since chins are so very messy and most cages do not have adequately high sides to keep the mess in. You can get them up to 5" high, they are totally worth the $.

I have 3 FN cages and will never buy another cage for my chins- the full front opening doors, large size, and nice look are just a few of the things I love about my Ferret Nation cages. All of my chins love them too.

I would definitely go with the FN. The doors make cleaning extremely easy, they look great, and my chins love the space. I have 3 FNs and a QC, but I absolutely hate the QC. It's impossible to clean and visit with my chins, it's very flimsy, and IMO really ugly.

Eh, I went with a FN simply because price matching in-store (at PetSmart) beats paying full price and shipping a giant cage. So, yeah, two FNs or one QC? Maybe less than two if you consider the price for Bass Equipment pans, but I just went with fleece and covered them up.

I personally love my FN and would never want a different type of cage. The doors open up the whole front of the cage making cleaning a breeze.
If you would want to keep the mess down you would need to buy the metal pans but they are so worth it.

I, too, went with the FN. I have 2 chins in there and they are both so happy with it. They both came from smaller cages and they love the freedom. I had no hassle getting the pans for the cage and they make everything so much neater. It's a very sturdy cage and well worth the money. Although, I will admit I have no experience with the QC cage. I never even considered buying anything other than the FN once I learned about it. Good luck! :)

I have a QC and I haven't had any problems with it besides the noise, and that was easily fixed. I think everyone is going to have their opinions on either cage. There have been several threads on this subject and the same nit picks on each cage. I guess it just depends on where the cage will be.

sorry brittney, i do realize this has probably been covered before. i'm not trying to be lazy, just a little overwhelmed by all the info and amount of postings.

i guess i really like the QC cage, mainly because it seems to come with what you need. and i'm a bit intimidated by all the modifications needed for the FN cage. i just want to make sure i'm not going to be greatly disappointed by the QC down the road...

anyway, i really appreciate everyones help and expertise!

I think if you are just starting out, go with the QC since it gives you what you need. The FN will not come with the wheel or shelves so you would be paying a little more. If you really want a FN down the road, then by all means, get one. I have seen a FN, but never owned one, side by side with a QC and I personally don't like it, IMO.

IMO it doesn't take much to modify a FN, I am severely handicapped when it comes to building things but I made all the shelves for mine within 20 minutes. There are many people on here that would be glad to help you out and make you shelves as well. :)

You don't absolutely need the bass pans- you can make or buy "pillow covers" for the plastic trays that come with the FN.

can you tell me if anyone makes shelf guards for FN cages like they sell thru QC? i did a search but couldn't find any on here specific to FN.

Hi I am new to this forum and just purchased 2 Chinchilla. I haven't picked them up yet, I want to be all set up for them first.
I ordered a FN cage, and am now seeing information about deeper 'pans' to help keep the mess in.
Can someone please let me know how to obtain these? Thanks!!!
Laurie

Personally I LOVE the FN, and so does my chin. :) It's a great , HUGE, cage.

Looks like you'll be spending at least $300 or a little more with shipping for the QC package.
To let you know what I paid for my FN142 (brand new) + the pans & chinspin, so that you can compare -
$168 for FN tax included @ Petsmart. They price matched kennelvet.com online ad of $156
$64 for the chin spin at qualitycage.com, shipping included.
$63 for the 2 bass pans at bassequipment.com, this includes shipping.
$295 Total

The FN is very easy to clean and get access to all the attached shelves and fleece for a quick vacuum because of the huge doors! I am kicking myself for not getting it sooner. Good luck with your decision!

Meant to add but too late to edit my post that the only extras that are missing from my FN total vs. the QC package is the water bottle, bowl & the manual. Extra bearings come with a new chin spin if ordered on its own. :))

ETA: you don't have to get both pans if your not dividing the cage, then you can knock off $20 off of my total and just get one bottom pan.

Last edited:
Back