PVC or Cardboard?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

Would it be cheaper to buy PVC tubes or the big cardboard tubes? I saw somewhere someone had used cardboard with the fleece covers over it and wondered do you think which would be the cheaper to go with or would they be just about the same?

If you but PVC, it will last longer, but you have to cover it. Cardboard will not last as long (due to chewing and eventual sagging from the weight of the chin) but does not have to be covered. You can cover cardboard, but it will eventually sag.

Even with the thick cardboard tubes it will eventually sag?

I plan to cover either one I get. I don't think the Chins would chew through the fleece to get to the cardboard...

Even with the thick cardboard tubes it will eventually sag?

I plan to cover either one I get. I don't think the Chins would chew through the fleece to get to the cardboard...

Yes, eventually they will because the fibers will loosen slightly every time the tube gets jumped on or peed on.
My chins have a terrible habit of chewing through fleece to get to the edge below it.

I use cardboard. I get them free from my work, as they are the innards of carpet rolls. They are usually 5-6" and work great, not to mention they are free ^_^

you may try your local Lowes, or Menards if your in the midwest (thats were I work) :)

Usually they just recycle it so you could get it next to nothing. :hmm:

Back