Putting Deer Antlers in Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshB.

Does anyone know if it is OK to put deer antlers in my chin's cage? I was considering securely hanging it in their cage, but I'm guessing they would chew on it, and I wanted to make sure it was safe. Basically just like bone I guess? Thanks for any help.

I guess I'm going to have to ask why?

I know that in the wild mice and rats have been known to gnaw on antlers, but as far as chins, or the affects of it, I'd guess it would be pretty much unknown.

I don't let the chins have them , because I have seen what the squirrels do to them outside and they go for the points and they end up being needle sharp. I've stabbed myself more than once on them and I would be afraid of the chins falling on the points even before they chew on them.
They are basicaly would supply calcium but I don't know that chins need extra calcium. Someone with more knowledge can answer it extra calcium is good or bad.

Last edited:
While some animals in the wild do eat deer antlers, because it's a natural form of calcium for them. Placing them in the cage with the chinchilla could be dangerous due to the fact, they leap and bound, and the chance is there that they could impale themselves. It's not something I would recommend.

As far as I know chins dont have them in the wild where they are, so I wouldn't.

Too much calcium in a chin's diet can cause kidney stones.

If a chin is on a quality pellet, there is no need for extra calcium. :)

Deer antlers does sound like an interesting idea; however, I think I'd stick with chin-safe woods that I know are going to be enjoyable and beneficial for my chins.

There antlers that are sold cut into segments and rounded, so you wouldn't have to deal with the points... They are used similarly to cuttle bones for birds and other situations where you'd want more calcium. I know people who do supplement their chinchilla's calcium, but for the stated reasons, it isn't something a healthy chinchilla needs.

Latest posts

Back