Purina Rabbit Chow Show?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm calling the tractor supply tomorrow and seeing if they have it, if not I looked up the retailers that sell Purina products in Iowa and there are like 50 of them, so if I can't get it there, I have many other places to choose from.

That's such a good deal! Chinchy's on Oxbow now, but I wanted to switch him to something that would work for feeding the two young rabbits we have in as well, as I'm paying 15 bucks for a 10 pound bag of each type of food. This'll work much better for us! :thumbs:

With the one chinny you probably won't go through it all in six months but regardless your only paying 20 for a six month supply and you can donate half or something . Or maybe even better your other critters eat it too?!

Oh I'm always going to complain about the price when we have the mill so close, yet others get it way cheaper and it's shipped in. Darn those rabbit people! lol Nah, it could be worse, but it's always been $5 more on average here than elsewhere. When we do see it, we stock up cause it's typical for them to run out at the feed store! Better than say the $62 I pay for 20# bag of parrot food and the turds just fling it everywhere! Ughhh

Its like the gas prices in Los Angeles, Ca. They have all the gas factories there but it cost more then where we live, which is 3 hours away.

I bought PRCS for 2 chins and will have so much left over too, but the price per pound is still so much less, than buying the expensive food at petsmart or petco.

Also about feeding it to other pets, I am adding a few pellets to my dog's food. First one of them always wants to eat the rabbit poop outside (nasty, I know) so I am trying to eliminate his need for some greens (cutting out the middle man) *;) *and second in Germany they sell more organic dog food, that actually has oats, pellets and other ingredients mixed into the normal food.*

I don't want to seem like I'm stealing your thread.........

I use Mazuri and the largest bag they make is 25 pounds. I pay $16 a bag at an Ag store that is an authorized Purina dealer. I was using Ralph Shoots diet and it was just too difficult to maintain on a regular basis. Then I tried getting Tradition and couldn't find anyone local. I am not driving to Maryland.

So I went online to Purina and found the closest authorized Purina dealer. She orders it for me. I also keep my feed in a "VITAL VAULT" I bought at another Ag store recently. Southern States sold the 50 pound holding container for $36. If you try and buy the Vital Vault at Petsmart you'll be broke. Look around for better pricing.

They are great. Have a rubber gasket inside the lid keeping it super fresh. They do make them in smaller sizes.

With the one chinny you probably won't go through it all in six months but regardless your only paying 20 for a six month supply and you can donate half or something . Or maybe even better your other critters eat it too?!

Yeah, we run a small rescue and we have in young rabbits now that are eating 3/4 of a cup of pellets a day (They are californian mixes, 4 months old and already are the size of our mini rex), and I'll be taking in a few chinchillas in January. I figure with the rabbits (the ones young enough to have alfalfa based pellets anyway) and chinchillas, we'll get through it in time, if not, I can always give out samples to rabbit and chinchilla owners in the area. And after the six month mark, it could always be re-purposed for rat litter.

I called today and they have it in stock for 18.45. Not bad at all.

I purchased feed on 12/07/11 the cost was $18.50. I just went last week the price went up to $20.44. I can't believe how much they raised the price within a month.

I can't believe how much they raised the price within a month.
It's actually a good thing - CA regulates what can and can not go in feeds, so when the cost of the "good stuff" goes up, they have to continue to put it in the feed if it's on the label.

Here, they just switch to whatever is cheapest for the season. That's why the herds there do so well on it year round and I have to change with the seasons. I would gladly pay an extra $4 to not have to go through a feed change seasonally.

Back