PUR water filter, what kind?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffycupcake

New Chin Parent
Sorry to make another thread, but I didn't want to add this in with my other thread, because it is a different topic. I'm looking on Walmart's web site trying to figure out about the PUR water filters.. and they have several different kinds, and it is making my brain hurt.

Which kind do I need to get? I have three that I'm going between, I don't even know if these three are any of the types I can use.

Links :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/PUR-3-Stage-Faucet-Mount-Filtration-System-FM-4100/7386194

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PUR-3-Stage-Faucet-Vertical-Mount-Filtration-System-FM-3700/7386195

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PUR-2-Stage-Faucet-Mount-Filtration-System-FM-3333/7386193

If those aren't what I need, can you kindly direct me to which one I want?
Links help me, because I need a visual. Thanks!

it's the PUR 3 you want, and the one that filters out microbial cysts such as giardia.

the second PUR 3 link you posted looks to be the better one, as it has a 1 year warranty. the other PUR 3 link doesn't say anything about warranty.

I have the FM-4100 in the first link you posted on the faucet in the basement. I believe it's the newer one of the Pur 3-stage models and is the easiest one to to mount on most faucets. You definitely need the Pur 3-stage and not the 2 stage filters.

So, as long as it is the 3 step one, I'll be okay? Also, will it say on the box what it filters out? I don't think the web site lists any of those as ones that my store carries. So I want to know what to look for. And, if I can't get the right kind of filter, can I buy bottled water of any kind?

I have the FM-4100 in the first link you posted on the faucet in the basement. I believe it's the newer one of the Pur 3-stage models and is the easiest one to to mount on most faucets. You definitely need the Pur 3-stage and not the 2 stage filters.

Maybe that one will be a winner then. I like the part I bolded in your reply. :thumbsup:
I like easy! I hope it works with my boyfriend's water faucet, his house is rather old, so are his appliances.

How do you know if it will fit your faucet?

If you mean me, well I don't know. Thats the problem.. haha. I'm just hoping that it will fit, since she said that it was the easiest one to mount on most faucets. Seriously, knowing my luck.. mine will be the small percentage that it won't fit. And in that case, well I might just have to take it to my parent's house & try it there, if it works there.. I guess I'll be transporting gallons of water ever so often & storing them in the fridge. Heh.

If you didn't mean me, and you just meant in general, well then... ignore my above answer.
;)

I meant in general, but your answer is similar to what I was thinking. I'd go buy this thing and every faucet in my house would fall into that same percentage that it won't fit. That is what worries be about buying the ones that mount one.

I also have one of the 4100s (first link listed - and it does note a one year warranty also, a little bit down the page)... so far, it been excellent, super easy to install (included multiple adapter types for faucet fit)...

I got the one from the first link and it worked! I was so worried. Yay!

Thank you all!

:dance3:

Is there an equivalent filter that isn't mounted on a kitchen faucet? Like a pitcher/Brita style that anyone knows of that will filter Giardia, etc?

Is there an equivalent filter that isn't mounted on a kitchen faucet? Like a pitcher/Brita style that anyone knows of that will filter Giardia, etc?

Pur water pitcher -
http://www.purwater.com/pur-products/water-pitcher/

PRODUCT DETAILS
With the PUR Pitcher and Dispenser Filter Replacement you’ll get up to 40 gallons of clean, filtered water. That’s up to 2 months of clean water right from your faucet—filtered to remove 99% of lead and microbial cysts (cryptosporidium and giardia),** and reduces many other substances like 96% of pharmaceuticals.*

I never boil, I was just quoting the article that I posted above, which claims "To remove microbiological contaminants, you can boil the water for about 5 to 10 minutes"

Boiling only gets rid of some of the parasites, not all. It does not kill the cysts which are basically the hibernating form of the parasites that hatch out when ingested and conditions are right (not really hibernating, but it's the best word to describe what they do without going into my microbiology nerdiness). Therefore I don't recommend boiling as a suitable option of removing opportunistic parasites from water.

Latest posts

Back