Proud new addition to the family!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

Well, we're not getting a place together for a few months, but the boyfriend and I adopted a husky/australian shepherd mix. Lucky for me, he'll live with Kelvin while he works out his training issues :) He's so cute! His name is Maverick (although he doesn't respond to it yet. We might get stuck with his weird rescue name). He came to the rescue place in March with all sorts of horrible illnesses, stayed in the hospital for a few days getting everything treated (parvo was among them, I'm not sure of the rest). It was months before they knew if he'd be adoptable. Now he's a happy, snuggly, 40+ pound "lap dog" with no concept of personal space. He needs a lot of work behaviorally, but Kelvin is a dog trainer so I'm not worried about that. He doesn't seem to like bones, toys or balls of any sort. He just wants to snuggle and run all the time! Love him to death already!!

Attachments

• Maverick.jpg
    Maverick.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 112
His name is Maverick (although he doesn't respond to it yet. We might get stuck with his weird rescue name).

Hammie that is just a husky for you start out with. They have very selective hearing and are known for being a very difficult to handle breed because of that. I hope he takes on more aussie traits though. In order to change a dog's name though the best way to do it is to use their former name along with their new one so in his case it would weirdrescuename maverick and eventually you can drop the weird rescue name and just use Maverick.

And also if he takes up husky traits be prepared for a very hard to motivate dog for training as a husky can change their mind on what motivates them that exact moment every .00005 seconds.

Thank you for taking in a rescue boy though and I hope he gets the more velcro dog personality of the aussie rather than a husky's stubborn streak and need to escape for the sake of first dog together. He is a handsome boy.

He's been awesome. I only get to see him when I visit on weekends and all I have to say is WOW! It's only been one week and his daddy is whippin him into shape! Since he trains at Petsmart, he takes him to work with him and works with him basically all day. He's already loose leash walking, sitting at every street corner, the jumping is under control and he plays dead when you point a finger gun at him and say "bang bang!" This is one very smart puppy! And as far as the motivation thing goes, tell me about it! He's not food motivated for whatever reason, but Kelvin's clicker training him. Since he was a stray, he loooooves attention and being pet. Hope that keeps up!!! We had family snuggles in bed this morning :) So cute!

Latest posts

Back