Problem with female chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finallygotachilla

So, when i first got my chinchilla she took to me quite quickly, I have had her for 3 months now but over the past month its like she's completely fallen out with me. She just dosent want to be picked up. I've tried but it ends up a chase around her cage and now she's getting really defensive each time like making snarling noises and giving little bites. Just yesterday she sprayed pee at me like 4 times.

Not sure what to do as there are no health problems, it seems she just wants to keep herself to herself. I'm thinking of giving her up as i don't see the point in having an animal you can't interact with.

finallygotachilla, like the name. I guess you have been wishing for a chinchilla for some time.

How old is she? possibly her puberty time... have you changed your perfume, location, your way to come to her, anything really... they are sensitive to changes.

Patience is key with any animal especially chinchillas since they are prey animals.

I understand from your name you most likely did your research and fell on the wrong info, so if you choose to "give her up" because of this. Please do not get another, because she is true to her species. She definitely is a chinchilla.

Being you have waited so long, I hope you will give yourselves the time deserved you both deserve for your choice of a pet.

Good Luck :)

Patience and regular handling is the key. Not all chins like to be held. They are like small children, what they like today isn't always what they like tomorrow or in 10 minutes. She sounds like a typical chinchilla. There are more ways to 'interact' than just holding. Have you tried leaving the cage door open and allwing her to come to you? Or playtime? How old is she? Has she been caged with other chins? A bit more information could help.

First of all thanks for writing in the thread.
My chinchilla was 4 months old when i got her so she'll be 7 months old now.

This has been going on for well over a month now with yesterday being the worse hence the spraying of pee.

Times before that she would go up on her hind legs as a warning obviously, but never spraying pee.

I do try and handle her everyday but its got to the stage were she dosent want to be handled at all, and i can't even put my hand in the cage to her without her running away. Also yesterday when i got her out to clean her cage she had a few small clumps of hair falling out

Nothings changed in the way i approach her or a change of scent its like i've lost her trust.

I have a chin that is very cage territorial. When I approach her in her cage, she will jump up and spray. Once out, she is a very sweet docile chin. Maybe allow her to get out of her cage (using a step stool of she needs it). Interact with her in a safe environment outside of the cage (use a playpen and section off the area around her cage). Sit down and let her approach you and crawl on you. Use a dustbath to attract her and get her back into her cage.

Most of all be patient and recognize that each chin will have its own distinct personality. Interact with her on her terms. :)

Neither of my chins allow me to hold them. Once out of her cage, my girl will sit and allow me to run my hand down her back for a few min. My male will jump out of his cage onto my shoulder and let me rub him for 5 min but once free he is in explorer mode! They allow us only what they want at the time:) I fell lucky when they choose to interact with me. In time, I believe you will find the best relationship for the two of you.

I tell people who adopt young chins (under 3 years old) that they likely won't know what their personality is going to really be like until they are older. Young chins go through many stages from being friendly to being juvenile delinquents. I also tell people to let the chin set the boundaries. If the chin doesn't want to be bothered in the cage, don't bother them. It is so gratifying once they trust you and start really interacting with you but that could take some time especially with a young one with a short attention span. Just give it time.

Jacoby goes through stages. One day he is all over us on the floor and the next day he is so busy with his plans for playtime he can't be bothered. I agree with the advice above. We sit with him during play time and wait for him to come to us. Some nights he is all about us other nights he is Mr. independent. I just enjoy the time with him what ever mode he's in. One of the things that helped with picking him up was teaching him it didn't mean playtime was over. For a while he started connecting the two. So we made a point of picking him up and letting him go so he didn't associate our touch with the end of fun. They are quite smart.

Thanks for all the replays.

I had her out of the cage last night but she just hides under the cage stand trying to keep well away from me. When i moved close to her she just ended up jumping away from me and she was shedding bits of hair to.
i did try picking her up and putting her down on the floor but it was just the same result over again

I would stop trying to catch her in her cage for awhile and give treats. Treats don't have to be unhealthy. You can give little apple twigs as treats. We've won over all of ours with twigs, select pieces of hay types they don't normally get, plain wheat cereal, oatmeal, and plain cheerios. The only one I don't really handle is Aika and she doesn't really take treats either. You have to open the cage and set it down in front of her nose for her to pick up. We just leave her alone because she's our only nonsocial chin. Inada was a spitting, lunging ball of fluff when we got her because she was mishandled. She's settled in nicely though with a bigger cage and house so she doesn't feel cornered and daily treats. She now climbs the bars to beg while I'm facing the other cage stack. None of mine like to be caught. Aime is the only one who will sit still while you pick her up. The rest take off as soon as they see you reaching for them. I just scoop them up with both hands, palms on their sides and fingers around their hindquarters, as smoothly as I can to move them around. You can also hold up a dust bath container and let them jump in it to move them but they tend to catch on after awhile and become wary of entering the container. It works temporarily until you can get them a little friendlier.

Latest posts

Back