Probiotics?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a veteran by any means, but I only use a probiotic when I have a chin with bad poops. I'm sure some do, and wouldn't think it would hurt to offer one on occasion.

Mine get probi on a regular basis. For my chins on heart medications the taste gets them excited for meds. And for my others it keeps them used to the syringe so when they are sick they take medication without the stress of forcing them to take it :D.

Jessi, what exactly do you give them and how often? I think getting them used to the syringe is a good idea.

Dawnnas Chinchilla Life Line is given on a regular basis here to every one, i hand feed my malo chin daily any way, and every one gets a ml or 2 from the syringe at least once a week... Sage doesn't like the syringe as much because she had to be hand feed for months on end due to stasis and i try not to get her too addicted to it the way she use to be, Whisper absolutely ADORES the syringe and thinks its the greatest treat ever. Ghost doesn't like the syringe but will eat it off a spoon...
i too try to get all my girls a little more accustom to the syringe lest i have to hand feed any one else at any time. plus i feel having lifeline in there diet is a great benefit

I used to put probiotic powder on my chins food all the time, and never had any issues. Now I just mainly use it during stressful times. (like when I first brought my boys home, or was doing a food switch) I think it helps them out when certain factors can throw off their gut bacteria (like stress, switching foods, or in times of illness)

Alot of chin feed have probiotics in it, IMO if the chin is not having a issue there is no need.

I agree with you Starry, I have no idea how your chin got that particular bacterial infection other than from a probiotic.

I have used probiotics when needed but have not used it on my chins that often. I also have one chin, who shall remain anonymous, who tried to roll in his food bowl when I sprinkled it on top of some new pellets during a feed change. His roommate was not amused as flying pellets came at him like bullets. :facepalm:

Probi is the name brand i use its a liquid probiotic. They get 0.1 cc orally daily for the ones on heart meds. The others get it once a week or so to keep them used to the syringe. My kids actually don't have to even be held to take their meds they grab the syringe and you just give it slowly. It has made things very easy for when someone gets sick. Because they are already stressed and I like knowing no additional stress will be put on them.

please can someone tell me when i stop putting probiotics in my chins water ,the vet said to give them to her as she was due to have her kits ,they 3 wks old now so can i stop ? all is well with her

You do not need to give probiotics to a pregnant or nursing chinchilla. They don't need supplementation unless something is wrong.

Critical care is not the same thing as lifeline.

That is up to you. I know some people that keep lifeline on hand and feed it as a treat 2-3 times a week. Personally, I do not keep it on hand but I have ordered it for sick chinchillas in the past.

Latest posts

Back