Primor (sulfadimethoxine/ormetoprim)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almostperfect10

Is the antibiotic Primor safe for chins? I know the first ingredient is Albon, but I can't find anything on the second regarding chinchillas.

My 7-year old chinchilla, Ollie, has a long history of tooth problems (numerous floats and several extractions) and is showing symptoms again. Our normal vet is currently out of the office, so we saw someone new today just to get an idea of how bad things are this time and get some metacam to hold her over for a few days. Thankfully her teeth aren't too bad, but he did see an ulcer on her tongue which is why he wanted to start her on an antibiotic. His first choice was Baytril, but after learning of her prior Baytril-related GI issues, he dispensed Primor instead. Our regular vet usually gives her chloramphenicol, so I wanted to check here before giving her something new. I do have leftover Bactrim from a previous bout of diarrhea if the jury is out on the Primor.

I have not heard of Primor being used in chins before personally, others with more personal experience with that antibiotic may chime in soon. Personally I would stick to the chloramphenicol - is there a reason that he did not prescribe that as your regular vet normally does?

I am in Cincinnati and use Dr. Barbara Oglesbee in Hilliard, Ohio, she is an exotics vet in the Columbus area that teaches at OSU. She is very good!

I am always leary of using a new antibiotic on chinchillas and have no knowledge of the ormetoprim. I like the chloramphenicol for more heavy duty issues-which any dental infection can become, rather than a sulfa based drug which I have found do not do well in the mouth. If I am dealing with a dental abscess or periodontal issue I use baytril and flagyl synergistically, they work well together, the flagyl works on anerobic bacteria and works well under the gumline and the baytril takes care of any other infections such as URIs that crop up.

Thanks Dawn. I spent hours searching for anything on ormetoprim and chinchillas and found absolutely nothing. Several sources said it was a gentle antibiotic, a newer drug related to Bactrim, and usually used for soft tissue infections. The vet we saw yesterday was young, had chinchillas of his own, and didn't think twice about suggesting Primor for Ollie. Knowing that she would only take three doses before being floated by the relief vet at our usual clinic tomorrow morning (and probably switched to chloramphenicol), I let Ollie choose her own medicine. Apparently Primor tastes better. After two doses, I have seen no ill effects. She is active, pooping normally, and appetite is good. I will be interested to see what our usual clinic says about the Primor tomorrow since they also have a fresh-out-of-school vet on their staff.

Thank you so much for the vet recommendation. It is always good to have names on hand for times like these! The vet we saw yesterday was an Ohio State graduate, so I'm wondering if Primor was something he learned there.

I have a prescription of chloramphenicol with refills at our local compounding pharmacy (the only way Ollie will actually swallow that drug instead of making a bitter beer face and spitting it our), but they have to order the drug and it takes 48 hours to get there. The Primor was prescribed for this interim time.

Back