Preventing Malocclusion?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMTDF

I got my very first chinchilla from a pet store, and after that I ended up getting two more. Soon after though, one of them died from what I suspected is Malo, it had all of the tell-tale signs: Drooling, lethargic, and watery eyes. I didn't know how bad pet store chins could be when I got them, but now that I know I worry my other two pet store chins will end up with Malocclusion also. This scares me. They were from the same petstore also. Is there a way to prevent it? Or cure it before it happens?

Malocclusion can not be cured. What you can do to help your chin wear their teeth down properly is to provide good feed Oxbow, Tradition, PANR, Nutrena Rabbit Feed, and Mazuri as well as plenty of hay. Give them wood to chew on as well. Don't feed them sugary treats that can cause tooth enamel damage as well as kidney issues.

If you notice runny eyes and drooling take your chin to the vet right away. There could be teeth spurs or some sharp points that need filing.

Sometimes a injury to a chins mouth may require teeth filing or teeth clipping--and this should always only be done by an experienced vet.

Last edited:
Nope. No way to cure it, no way to prevent it. It's genetic. You can help keep teeth healthy with a good diet, good quality hay, and lots of wood chews - but that's about it.

Oh, okay. That somewhat disappointing. That's very sad actually, I guess now I can just hope and pray for luck that is skipped them.

My first two chins were from Petco and died from malo, I have 3 more petco chins who are 7, 8 and 9 years old and never had any problems. Don't expect the worse, just enjoy the chins you have!

Latest posts

Back