pressure washing FN

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfstache

Beware the 2 headed chin
I was considering using a pressure washer to clean my ferret nation and critter nation cages. Has anyone tried this? It seems like a good idea, because even though I change out the fleece and clean the pans and sand down the wood, the chins always have a habit of getting urine on the support bars and everything else. Figure it would be a good thing to do maybe once a month or two. Anyhow I'm concerned about using a pressure washer because I'm afraid the the pressure may be too great and could strip the finish off of the cage, or may etch the plastic pans (it would be great to have all metal bass pans in every cage, but those'll come in time). Would this work or be advisable? I've never used a pressure washer, so this is new territory for me.

I am not sure about a pressure washer only because I think that water could lay inside and cause some rust. I have bought several used Ferret Nation cages and when I did this (I have ocd when it comes to this) I took the whoooole thing apart and washed each individual piece in the bathtub. One cage in particular seemed like someone either hosed it off or pressure washed it because when I took the frame apart one of the screws was rusted so badly it snapped. I had to zip tie that corner as it was the support bar. Again with my ocd this is driving me crazy and it really irritates me. You could try a steam cleaner on the cage. I just bought one yesterday for this very purpose but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Hmm, yeah she has a point I never thought of. The FN does have open places that would rust. My parrot cage is even bigger and doesn't have that problem. I saw a BBQ brush at Shopko that also used steam to clean (on clearance-back aisle) I thought that might be pretty neat to use on cleaning cages. It's only like $10 on sale

keeping each part of the cage separate and laying it out in the sun should help to keep water from staying inside various areas. a blow dryer directed down the empty areas would work if you are paranoid about water staying in there.

I take my cages to the do it yourself car wash 2 or 3 times a year. I don't have FN's but they are metal and I've never had any rust. I usually leave them out in the sun to dry for a while, but have also towel dried them in winter months.

My dad owns a pressure washer and I was planning on using it just recently when I picked up a used FN182 (ferrets on the bottom and birds on the top....ugh, you can only imagine!). But he said it would be too strong and I might as well use the hose. Half a spray bottle of bleach and two good, thorough rinsings and it looks good as new. Do it on a good sunny day so it has a few hours to air dry outside in the sun.

I always wash the fn at the car wash. I don't know if its the same pressure but I have never had a problem with rust. I always let it dry outside before bringing it back inside. With a ac on all year round in the chin room it stays dry aswell.

Back