preping wood question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgars Dad

chindad
I was given some pear wood that has a green powder on it, looks like some kind of algea.
I'm wondering if it ok to use, I can scrub it off with soap and water, but am
wondering if whatever it is could still be there unseen. The wood was from an
un-sprayed tree. Should I try to use it ? I still need to boil and bake it.
Just wodering if anybody else has come up with this.

Thanks
Edgars Dad

If it's algae I would think that would mean it's wood that has been sitting in a wet place, so possibly fallen sticks? Or just from a very rainy area? You don't want to use stuff off the ground, you want fresh cut off the tree.
Maybe if you posted a pic of the wood that would help to possibly tell what it is and if it's something that can be just scrubbed off or not. Maybe try peeling some of the bark off of a piece and see if it's just on the surface/bark or if it goes deeper. If it's mold I wouldn't use it, but algae I believe can just be washed off and will be killed in the cooking process. However if the green stuff it on the actual wood itself, not just the bark I wouldn't chance it.

Personally though I don't use any wood that doesn't look normal to me, I figure better safe then sorry. Hopefully someone that prepares wood regularly will chime in, I've never used or had wood with any green powder on it (I've also only prepared birch and poplar from my property).

Wood Question

I took pictures of before and after cleaning - see attached.
It seems to be only on the surface , I dissected a piece.

Attachments

• Green powder as found.jpg
    Green powder as found.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Green powder after scrubbing.jpg
    Green powder after scrubbing.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 23
I'm not an expert, but personally, I wouldn't mess with that wood. It's possible that it could be a type of fungus. If it's the fungus, what you are seeing on the surface is only part of the fungus, the rest of it is actually living in the wood, so cleaning still doesn't get rid of the organism in the wood. I just don't think it would be worth taking the chance for me.

It might be lichen. I wouldn't use it. I would wait until someone can tell you for sure if the wood is good or not.

Looks like a form of algae. Algae is a non-parasitic, non-fungal plant-like growth that thrives in damp, wet conditions. I believe that any unusual growth on sticks and branches is suspicious and feeding to chins, since they have delicate digestive systems, is very risky.

I found this link that has interesting info to differentiate between algae, lichens, and moss:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=411

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back