Pregnant Rescue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaRelf

Animal Lover <3
As some of you have probably read, I rescued 5 chinchillas. I'm a first time rescuer and I have a question. I'm thinking one of the girls may be pregnant. She is very cranky, much heavier than the other 4 (just picking her up, not by scale.), looks much bigger than the others, lays on her side, eats and drinks a ton, and isn't very active. I know that you never know 100% until kits show up but so these sound like 'signs' of a pregnant chin? I have seperated her into a cage without ledges and small bar spacing until I know for sure. Am I doing the right thing? If not, what should I do? thank you.

As she gets closer to her birth date you will be able to see the kits kick, but you are correct there is no way to know for sure other than to wait.
Based on what you've said I'd guess that she is. If this is your suspicion, don't pick her up anymore. You could take her to a vet if you really wanted to be sure.

As she gets closer to her birth date you will be able to see the kits kick, but you are correct there is no way to know for sure other than to wait.
Based on what you've said I'd guess that she is. If this is your suspicion, don't pick her up anymore. You could take her to a vet if you really wanted to be sure.

I've had hundreds of pregnant females over the years, and not once did I see the kits kick. I might have been lucky enough to feel them if I picked up the female for whatever reason, but I've never had a female graciously lay on her back or side long enough with me standing there to see any kicking.

What will taking her to the vet do? Stress her out and possibly cause her to lose the litter. The vet will either palpate her, which most vets have no clue how to do safely, or they will charge an exorbitant amount to do an ultrasound. Why bother? If she's pregnant, she is, if she's not, she's not. You prepare a care for her and go on baby watch for the next 3 months. If she hasn't delivered after that, she isn't going to.

Sounds like you have things under control. Be sure to mark 111 days from rescueing or whenever you seporated them on the calander. That way you know the last possible due date.

I have read up but I didn't want to 'torture' her by putting her in a smaller cage with no shelves if she's just a cranky fat chinchilla (LOL). she's already giving me the stink eye.

I'll just wait and see what happens.

If she is just laying around most of the time, being in a smaller cage won't be torture. I would keep her in the little cage until 111 days after she was separated from the male. It is the only way to be sure and to keep the kits safe if she is pregnant.

Yeah, it's JUST 3mos and a better safe than sorry situation ;) I ALWAYS know who's pregnant these days...always. And it's not by appearance or behavior usually. Most of the time it's by weight (which I do about monthly) or by feel. Do I recommend the second one? No. Do I feel comfortable doing it, yes. My girls, after years, are used to my hand under the belly bit. They usually set still long enough for me to get a good feel. I don't EVER press. They lay there. Sometimes I can feel the kits move, but even when I can't feel the kits...I know what a pregnant female FEELS like. It's a different sort of feel. You get used to it. Anyhow, give it 3mos and try to limit her activity and handling. Sure, it may be a waste. But if she is pregnant you won't risk the kits.

Back