Pregnant Mom Weight Gain Timeline

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
I was wondering how the weight of a mother fluctuates during the gestation period. When does it pick up, when does it slow down, and most of all what does that say about how far along she is?

Any descriptive replies or links are greatly appreciated!

It doesn't say anything about how far along she is. Some moms gain 200 gm some gain 50. It doesn't tell you how many kits she will have or when she's due. Every chin is different. I've got some moms who will gain a bunch in the beginning then nothing and others who gain it all towards the end.

I'm guessing since you are posting thread after thread after thread with breeding questions that this is something you are planning to do. I would suggest, instead, reading through the entire breeding and babies section, as well as the FAQ's regarding kit care, why to breed, etc., and then start asking questions. Then I would put them all in one thread so that you have a place you can reference, rather than 10 or 15 different threads to keep track of.

Thanks for the clarification. So what would you say is the best way to determine how far along a pregnant chinchilla is? I know around the 90 day mark the pelvis broadens and the nipples become apparent, but is there anything else?

Yes, I'm getting closer to breeding, but I wanted to clear up a few more things. And I have looked through the FAQs and I figured I'd ask again to have the most updated answers.

The answers haven't changed. There is no way to miraculously know how far along a chin is. Breeding quality chinchillas hasn't changed. FAQ's are updated if they need to be. Review those FAQs again and you'll get most of the answers you need. Also, you won't get much more updated than the threads that are already on here. Read through all of them and you'll find tons of info.

So what would you say is the best way to determine how far along a pregnant chinchilla is?
Don't. Handling them stresses them out.

Least intrusive: Patience, learn to watch for signs without handling.
Moderately intrusive: Get an ultrasound
Most used & intrusive: Palpation, if for some reason you really need to know. You can get good with practice, but expect to lose a few fetuses in the process.

I know around the 90 day mark the pelvis broadens and the nipples become apparent?
Not always

but is there anything else?
Patience, lots of it. There is no way for us to pack a decade of learned experience into words. You just have to experience it and develop your own. :))

Latest posts

Back