Pregnant chin really thin? Need advice.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

I just got a chin and there is the possibility that she is pregnant. I have researched on this forum and many have mentioned that a pregnant chin does not need any supplements or additions if they are getting what they should as a healthy chin should. I have also researched on here about skinnier chinchillas and many posts have mentioned that some chinchilla are naturally thin. When I feel her I can feel her backbone. She does have a more pointier nose. I know she could naturally be smaller. I have weighed her and she was like 580 if I remember correctly so it wasn't that bad.

My question is what if she is skinny AND pregnant? Should she not have some supplements just in case she is pregnant to help out in the pregnancy?

Feeling the backbone is "typically" not because the chin is smaller. How about the ribs? Can you feel her ribs? Why would you think she is pregnant, just out of curiosity?

The previous owner told me she possibly is. She is a breeder and so she was exposed to a mosaic. What would feeling the backbone be? Just her size? I haven't noticed feeling her ribs. I will have to double check to make sure.

if she was 'a breeder' she was probably over breed. At 580 she shouldn't have been bred at all - that is small. Is she eating and pooping ok?. I would weigh her every day at the same time and she if she is losing weight. If she is losing weight get her to the vet right away. Try to get her to eat more and pray she is not pregnant. At that weight it will probably kill her.

No reputable breeder will use a female that small. Its likely that it was a byb so you may want to keep that in mind. Bybs dont generally breed for good health. I would keep her on a good diet and alfalfa hay.
What are you currently feeding? what kindof cage do you have her in? She needs to be in a baby safe/proof cage, which means mesh 1/2sq and no shelves/ledges. Mark 111 days from when you got her as her last possible due date

How heavy should they or is it recommended they be to breed? I thought between 500 and 700 was a healthy weight. Probably not for one to be bred I am sure so I am curious what is a healthier weight. She seems to be eating okay. Pooping well. I will weight her every day. I have already marked the calendar for 111 days as well. I have her in a temp cage because I was originally wanting her and my original chinchilla to bond. There isn't any shelves or ledges in her cage. It is smaller. I had read up on the fact that spacing needs to be 1/2 at the most and I will be adding hardware cloth to the inside of the cage she is in. I was nervous with her being this small and possibly being pregnant. I wanted to make sure I should feel that way. I have heard of some chins just naturally being smaller. Is this a healthy weight for a chinchilla that is not pregnant and is not being bred? I am not planning on breeding at all. I just want to make sure.

Oh and could you please tell me what BYB stands for? LOL I tried to figure it out but no luck.

Also, I forgot to mention feed. She is eating mazuri chinchilla pellets and alfalfa hay.

BYB means backyard breeder.

Weight has little or nothing to do with breeding. You could have a 1000 gm chinchilla and if it's crap, it's crap and shouldn't be bred. People don't recommend breeding an animal that small because of complications that could happen due to a too small pelvic opening. I've had large chins get kits stuck - it is not pretty.

500 gm is fine for a pet chin, not a breeder. Nothing under 650+ gets bred here.

That makes sense. So essentially I shouldn't try to necessarily fatten her up as that is probably her natural size and just see if she is pregnant.

I just worry that if she is so small and the stress of a new place may make it harder so I wanted to help her out if she is pregnant. I thought maybe something that might give her additional nutrients or maybe vitamins? I am not sure. I just hate waiting it out knowing she is small and really shouldn't be bred to begin with.

I wont breed a female that is under 600 grams, most of my females are 650+ grams. BYB means back yard breeder. They are people who breed for cute colors, money, and or just throw any two animals together to produce babies. The chinchilla equivalent of puppy mills. Reputable breeders invest a lot of time and money to improve the next generation and provide educational help.

I would just keep your girl on a healthy diet and count down. Hopefully you will be lucky and she will not be pregnant. Under weight chinchillas are less likely to breed due to poor health.

Thank you. That makes sense. I just hope everything works out. I am going to weight her and keep an eye on her and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back