Pregnancy Weight Gain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccchins

About 2 months ago I found a breeding plug in one of my pairs cage. Now I know that it doesn't mean that conception has occurred only that breeding has taken place. My question is this: is there a normal weight gain for a pregnant chinchilla? She is 3 years old and was 571g now two months later she is 628g. Does the weight gain suggest that she is pregnant? And info would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

There is no set weight gain. Some chins will gain 100 grams and some will gain 300 grams while pregnant. That weight gain could be from more/different food over the last two months or she could be pregnant.

Last edited:
Weight gain is not a good indicator. Unless she is an old lady, females will often continue to grow until 3-4 years old. Pregnant females do pee a lot more and it definitely stinks worse during the last half of the pregnancy.

Pregnant females do pee a lot more and it definitely stinks worse during the last half of the pregnancy.

I definitely noticed a stronger urine smell last night. I was gonna ask about it but I think that explains it. It smells like old urine but their cages get cleaned twice weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Back