Precise questions about malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

Hi guys!
I wanted to know if a malocclusion, giving it is not a genetic cause, does it make it more 'curable' ? Hope you understand what I mean.... I would say it makes no difference, but just wanted to make sure.

And also, if malo is developped from say lack of calcium in a female or an accident or anything that is NOT genetic, can that malo be passed on as the genetic one to the kits?

Hi guys!
I wanted to know if a malocclusion, giving it is not a genetic cause, does it make it more 'curable' ? Hope you understand what I mean.... I would say it makes no difference, but just wanted to make sure.

And also, if malo is developped from say lack of calcium in a female or an accident or anything that is NOT genetic, can that malo be passed on as the genetic one to the kits?

For your first question, I think non genetic malo is probably a little more curable, because it will normally effect only a small area, rather than the whole mouth.

And no, a non genetic malo could not be passed on to the kits, but to ever really prove it is non genetic would be almost impossible, so most breeders would not breed any chin with malo, regardless of cause.

I do think that it would depend on what you're talking about when you say malo. Is it that the incisors are growing irregularly or are the roots elongating into the skull? If it's the incisors many times those can be clipped or dealt with over time. But if the roots are elongating into the skull or jaw, there isn't really anything that can cure that.

There's no malo yet. I was just seeking information for a woman I know who's got a female a little over a year old and who might be pregnant for the 3rd time. We were concerned as we don't know what type of food she's giving. Thanks guys, so at least the babies would not 'suffer' by having malo passed on to them if ever she develops it from lack of calcium.

Back