PRCS for chins but not buns?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
So I know PRCS is reccomended for chins and I bought a bag to begin them with. However, I have read in multiple areas on the web that an alfala based pellet isn't good for rabbits and can cause calcium build up. I was hoping for a two for one to feed it to them both...but obviously I need to know that its safe. Does anyone have any other feedback about it? Ill keep them on oxbow if needed, they get more veggies than anything anyway.

Please note, I have one average sized rabbit who is a healthy weight and one rabbit who is constantly overweight no matter what we do for her ...more of a reason I'm concerned!

If you limit it to 1/4 cup a day for most of them it should be fine. I have two that get Manna Pro Show cause that what the chins get. One is a fatty and the other a growing bun. I give them plenty of timmy hay cubes and 1/2 cup of food a day. My one female is 7 years old and always been on alfalfa based feed.

Hm, I wouldn't see how feeding an alfalfa based pellet to a chin would be any different than a rabbit. If you're not giving alfalfa hay as well, I would think it would be even less of a concern with rabbits because they are getting veggies on top of pellets and hay, so pellets make up an even smaller part of their diet.
I had my rabbit on PRCS for a number of years up until we had to euthanize her because of cancer. She was actually free-fed and lean right up until the end. My foster bunny now is a pig, so he is limited on pellets, but he gets PRCS as well. Doing great!

Bunnies don't need Alfalfa once they are full grown. It has extra calcium which is good for growing bones, of course, but can cause problems in an adult bunny. We switched to Timothy Hay at 6 months, as Miss Hoppy was done growing by then, but she never got fed pellets anyway, just hay and good veggies!

No, feeding alfalfa of any sort of rabbit, unless they are having problems keeping weight on or are younger then 6 months, is not good for them at all. It is far too rich for them. It will lead to obesity.

Alfalfa is high in calcium and protein but it is low in fiber, which is the most important thing for your rabbit to get. Rabbits don't digest calcium and instead, it passes through urine, so it will lead to sand or, worse, stones. It will also likely lead to liver and kidney problems later in life.

Long story short, don't give a bun over 6 months alfalfa.

The main part of a bunny diet should be hay. They should get limited pellets and limited fresh greens. Alfalfa pellets should only be fed to bunnies that are under 6 months of age. The House Rabbit Society is a great resource for all things bunny.

Thanks guys

I did read up on it thoroughly and it seems there are too many risks with alfalfa based diet for me to feel comfortable. Timmy oxbow for bunnies it is : )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back