Potty training in new cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

In our old cage, Chili and Chalupa both use to pee (lets not start the "use proper terms debate please! :pillowfight:) in the same spot at the bottom of their cage under the 1/2" grate that was half the floor on the cage. This was really nice as cleaning involved just 1/2 the cage bottom, and used very little litter/ bedding. (Of course they poo'd all over the place, so general cleaning is a daily must do)

Enter the new FN cage and the plastic trays. They are now peeing on two different levels. (Well, at least ONE of the little dudes is!)

We have installed a litter box in an attempt to get them to use this instead but as stated, only one is using this.

Is there any trick to 'training' them to go in the box? Will taking the pee from the place I don't want them to go and placing it in the litter box work? If so, how do I disinfect or remove the smell from the cage trays to discourage re-using the cage tray.

I have heard you can take some peed on shavings and place then in the litter box so they get the idea. I don't know if you have shavings or fleece in the rest of the cage? Not sure if there's a way to discourage them from peeing in particular spots unless you rearrange the cage and place a tile, hidey house, etc. over that spot.

I use soiled bedding in a litter pan, in a favorite corner or two. It worked quickly and easily, but I only have one chin to "train". I also put toys, bowls, whatever, in other corners to help discourage that area from becoming a potty site.

I have heard you can take some peed on shavings and place then in the litter box so they get the idea. I don't know if you have shavings or fleece in the rest of the cage? Not sure if there's a way to discourage them from peeing in particular spots unless you rearrange the cage and place a tile, hidey house, etc. over that spot.

I use soiled bedding in a litter pan, in a favorite corner or two. It worked quickly and easily, but I only have one chin to "train". I also put toys, bowls, whatever, in other corners to help discourage that area from becoming a potty site.

I'll give this a try. We don't have bedding on any part of the cage, except the corner litter box. We are using the plastic pans that came with our FN cage right now and the chins seem to love the extra space to run around in. I will 'collect' some of the pee and put as much as I can in the littler box. Hopefully this will attract them to the liteer box.

We have been using water and paper towels to clean the cage down every night beore playtime ends (we clean while they play, so they get to go back to a clean home). Can I add anything to hide the scent of pee on the trays?

I will also try to move things around and see if covering it up works any better. We may just have to see if a second litter box on the upper level will be a possible solution. Thanks.

Back