Potty training a chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosco Lam

how do you exactly train a chin to pee in a dish? can you actually teach it to pee somewhere or do you have to put the dish where they prefer to pee?thanks :)

look to where your chin pees most in the cage, and put the potty dish there. put some peed on shavings in it, and that should help encourage them to pee there. where they have peed before, they will pee again...... usually. lol.

some chins just aren't potty trainable, and some take to it by just putting a potty dish in their cage. my boys were both great with their potty before i started using fleece liners. now they pee on the fleece most of the time and in the dish just some of the time. i used to have them on a bare metal pan with the potty dish. perhaps they didn't like urine pooling where they might step in it?

* place a metal pan with shavings in every corner they pee (i bought the cheap ones dogs eat from - biggest model)
* fill the pans with what they like most, aubiose, shavings,...
* if you have put down several pans, remove one every x days, normally they will go to the remaining pans. Repeat till you have 1 left
* if I don't clean their shavings every 2 days and leave it in for 3 for example, they refuse to "go" in the dirty pans (who can blame them?) clean frequently!
* don't clean the pans too thouroughly neither; from what I have been told it's important to keep some of their scent in there to encourage the use fo the potty

Latest posts

Back