Potty trained?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenxx810

I've only had my boy Oliver for about a month now, so I'm still picking up on his quirks. But I've consistently noticed that he only pees in the same spot, a spot that progressively gets more noticeable before I change is pine shavings. Its really no big deal to me, I'm glad he's peeing, but I was thinking that maybe he's litter trained? is that a thing with chins? If it would make him happier i'd be glad to get a metal pan and put litter in it. Maybe it doesn't matter to him either way. Just thought it was curious : )

Both of my chins are litter trained. Neither were before I got them, I just worked with them.

The first one took to it like he knew exactly what he was doing, while the other took a bit of work. He will still pee elsewhere on occasion but he uses the pan for the most part.

You can give it a try. If he only uses one spot I imagine it should work. :]

all 5 of my chins were similar. They all stuck to specific spots. So after that i got litter pans instead of lining the whole tray. They sued the litter pans right away. I was quite surprised. After a long while tho i had one girl that decided to longer use them. And currently my one boy stopped using them when medical issues arose. But that was a good thing actually. Cause the first symptom was sticky urine which i wouldnt have noticed if he kept using the litter pan.

All my chins use the bottom tier of their cages to pee (I have five separate very large cages). Tigger, my extra dark ebony boy occasionally pees on his shelf when he's got a strop on him. :yuck:

Dessy took to her litter box right away too. That said, if I take too long to change it out she lets me know by peeing just outside of her box.

Yuki always goes in the lowest level of his cage, and always in an empty corner. It was easy enough to put his stuff in the other corners to leave him one to go in.

Both of my chins are litter trained. Neither were before I got them, I just worked with them.

The first one took to it like he knew exactly what he was doing, while the other took a bit of work. He will still pee elsewhere on occasion but he uses the pan for the most part.

You can give it a try. If he only uses one spot I imagine it should work. :]

When you say worked with them what do you mean exactly?

Only one of mine refuses to stick to the same spot / even to shavings, It'd be great if I could get her trained too and have litter pans for all 3.

I have a three month old in a critter nation type cage. I have fleece floor covers I swap out and wash every few days. I notice she was peeing in the same corner on each level of the cage. I bought an 8x8 glass casserole dish from a second hand store for a couple of dollars and put pine shavings in the dish and put it in the corner she was peeing in on the bottom level. From then one she only pees in the dish. I guess i got lucky.

My female chin is potty trained :) When I got her she wasn't taught how to be potty trained, but she would always pee in the same spot. I'm guessing that she did that for her own hygiene so there wasn't wet spots all over her cage when she ran around?? So what I did was just put a liter pan down in the same spot she normally peed and now she just pees inside of the liter box. I'm very happy about it because now I can have fleece flooring instead of shavings that would get everywhere!

Is there anyway I could teach my girl to pee in the same spot? :D I only taught her to pee inside of the cage... Though if I keep her too long in the bed, she pees here as well... But if I take her every 2 hours and put her in the cage, she immediatelly pees and then I take her back to bed :) So she knows what to do...

Back