Pottery hide aways

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
So I have some old terra cotta flower pots out in the yard. They've been sitting for years, collecting dust, cobwebs and what not. My question is, after washing them in hot soapy water, they should be perfectly fine to put in the cages, shouldn't they? At least I'm guessing I should wash them in hot soapy water seeing as they have dirt on the inside. After attaching them to the cage, they would make great hideaways. Plus they're free. :dance3: I also have some glazed cermaic pots sitting out there, are those safe to use as hay racks? Thanks!

So I have some old terra cotta flower pots out in the yard. They've been sitting for years, collecting dust, cobwebs and what not. My question is, after washing them in hot soapy water, they should be perfectly fine to put in the cages, shouldn't they? At least I'm guessing I should wash them in hot soapy water seeing as they have dirt on the inside. After attaching them to the cage, they would make great hideaways. Plus they're free. :dance3: I also have some glazed cermaic pots sitting out there, are those safe to use as hay racks? Thanks!

They should work great once they are cleaned out.

I don't think the glazed pots are safe... well if they're safe for planting edible plants and herbs then probably but I'd wouldn't use them.

I would hesitate to use old flower pots because they may have pesticide or fertilizer residue on them. I believe terra cotta is porus and can absorb chemicals. If the chemicals have been absorbed you can't wash them out.

I would be on the safe side and maybe not use them if they have been used for potting in the past too you just dont know what they have absorbed or been exposed to.

Latest posts

Back