Potential babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horslvr123

Is there anything I need to do to the cage just in case my girl is pregnant? Im going to cut out the wire bottom tomorrow, so it will just be shavings in a pan..
Its not the greatest of cages at the moment.. after next weekend, its going to be alot better.. wood shelves, no wire, etc.. but, just in case.. I want to be prepared..Does she need a nest box? Or will she have them where ever she happens to be?

Thanks for the help..

I got her this way.. and she is seperated from my male..who is not the father (if she is preggo). Not realy sure she is preggo.. or how long.. but I want to make everything as good as I can for her, just in case..

If the spacing on the wire is larger than 1/2" x 1", you will need to wrap the cage in hardware cloth to keep the babies from escaping. You will need to cover all sides (even the top). This will need to be done before the kits are born since kits are able to run around and climb within hours of birth.

Chinchillas are nothing like Rabbits. They do not need nest boxes, they give birth to fully furred, open-eyed and open-eared babies in whichever spot they choose. The babies will be up and running around within HOURS, which is why it is so important to have the cage baby-safe well before the babies are born. Actually, they'll be squirming from the second they're out of mom, but the first few hours usually consists of being cleaned by mom, feeding off of mom, and being kept warm by mom.

Back