Possibly rescuing a hedgie today, HELP?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
My friend knows a guy who bought a hedgie for his son, and the poor little thing is being neglected(going days without food/water, dirty cage, etc). :hair: The guy told me for $45 I can have the hedgie, cage, wheel, and remaining supplies. (Just waiting on the approval to let another animal in the home.)

I have 3 chins, and I've been caring for them for several years but I'm assuming hedgie care is A LOT different! I've read the FAQ over several times now and did a bit of research online, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me?

One thing I was a bit concerned about, is the temperature. It gets a extremely chilly here in the winter and I was wondering if a heat lap would be acceptable? (Please dont harass me, I honestly just dont know)

Also I'd like a little more info on the diet. I've been reading they eat cat food and mealworms, is this info correct? If so, any special type I should get?

**Like mentioned above, its no guarantees I'm getting him, I just want to be prepared**

Thanks in advance!

Hedgies and chins couldn't be more different in their care requirements. Hedgies do not handle cold at all and will go into false hibernation which leads to death. Hedgies and chins should not be kept in the same room because of the drastic differences in temperature requirements. Many people use heat lamps and room heaters for their hedgies.

Food should be a good quality cat food. I believe there is a list of approved foods in the FAQ. Most like mealies, but it shouldn't be the major part of their diet.

In addition, heat lamps can be used and are popular with many owners. However, they will only do so much. You should be able to find some info on their setup in other threads.

Sounds like the sweet dear needs a new home. Keep reading and asking questions. One thing I do want to suggest is reading up on attitude. Neglected hedgehogs can take a lot of work, a lot of patience, and a lot of respect.

What is used is a ceramic heat emitter, rather than a heat lamp. The emitters emit heat with no light. Emitters must be used with a thermostat to control the heat output otherwise they get too hot. A ceramic heat emitter and thermostat setup although fairly pricey to set up, is the most economical way to keep hedgies cage at a temperature comfortable for him. The emitter set up also only heats the cage instead of the whole room.

Sounds like the little guy needs out of a bad situation.

If and when you get him, warmth is critical as well as making sure he is eating. High quality cat food is a great option. If he has been starving he may dive into the food or he may reject it. Kepp on eye on if an how much he is eating. If he isn't eating, there are some things that might help him. Let us know how it goes.

So I was supposed to pick him up yesterday, but hes ignoring my calls and emails. I just hope the poor little guy gets the life that he deserves...:banghead:

Back