Possibly pregnant female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm very glad there is one girl. Will probably keep her to stay with her mom. I was actually already thinking of naming the boy Patriot and the girl possibly Liberty. I have a scale I am bringing home after work today. How can I be sure they are getting enough milk. I see them under Mama all the time but want to be sure they are actually getting what they need.

Watch for weight gain. If they lose and continue to after a few days, you need to step in. If they gain a gram or two, then you're fine. Some of mine make buttermilk so their kits gain 4-5g a day. Also, watch to be sure each gain about the same amount or close just to make sure there are two working teats....they may squabble over territory until settled ok their own...if only one gets a working teat, the other will be a runt and you will need to handfeed. Keep us posted!

Watch for weight gain. If they lose and continue to after a few days, you need to step in. If they gain a gram or two, then you're fine. Some of mine make buttermilk so their kits gain 4-5g a day. Also, watch to be sure each gain about the same amount or close just to make sure there are two working teats....they may squabble over territory until settled ok their own...if only one gets a working teat, the other will be a runt and you will need to handfeed. Keep us posted!

Thanks!

defs a girl and a boy :) I thought the one was a girl :)
will be nice to be able to keep momma and the daughter :)
and yes, weigh them daily, and honestly 1-5 grams a day is good. 90% of mamas can handle twins easy :)

The girl weighs 46grams and the boy 50grams. Are those good wights for one day old kits?

Congrats on two adorable kits! I'm glad they made their way to you, it sounds like the previous owners were oblivious.

The male is a lot fluffier than his sister. Is that just because he is a bit bigger? Or is it something I should be concerned about?

Don't worry. Several things can account for this. Differing initial fur density or length....also, some like to lay under mom rather than to the side. As long as they are not laying on wet shavings (my preference) with their getting soaked, its fine. I am sure they will end up cute and fluffy when they get bigger! Some kits I swore were just ugly little wet mice ended up being such great animals....you can't judge at this stage, just make sure they are getting enough milk. How are their weights? Are they gaining?

No, no wet shavings. They're always dry. The boy just seems like a little fluff all whereas the girls fur stays closer to her body rather than sticking out. The little girl was up 2 grams as of this morning so they now weigh 48 and 50 grams. I had the boy out for a bit last night so the girl could have some solo nursing time.

Is the male gaining? I personally would leave them both in to try and let them both be on their own nipples and stimulate them to produce milk...its too early be rotating feeding if you don't know for sure there is only one nipple making milk. Being a couple grams lighter is miniscule. Just weight them once a day around the same time. Hopefully they both gain similar amounts on thei own nipples. I would wait to rotate until you see a significant weight difference happening in the next couple days. That's me, others may chime in differently....I just like to leave them alone ethe first three or four days to let them do their thing, bothering them only to weigh once a day.

I'm not really rotating. I just took him out to handle and play with for a bit but didn't take the girl out.

I am sure they will be fine, especially since it looks like the males weight is either the same or gaining. Do you know if this mom has produced before? And if so how many?

I believe she is a first time Mom. Her previous owner said the boy had one kit before, but he belongs to her friend. So I do not believe she has. She is a very good mom. Always coming when one of her babies squeaks or is away for too long. They are always under her.

Babies each gained 4 grams today!! Girl is now 52grams and the boy is 54 :D
I weighed them this morning and tonight so the girl gained a total of 6 grams today and the boy 4!!

:D. I'm very happy about it. I would have been happy with 1 gram as long as it was something. Mama must be making some milk shakes or something. If they do this consistently for the next few days maybe I will stop worrying about them...maybe ;)

Latest posts

Back