Possibly pregnant female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageVoice

I just got a female chimchilla, about a year and half old, from someone off CL. She had "play dates" with a male who belonged to a friend of her previous owner and I think she is pregnant. I have never had a pregnant chinchilla so I am not sure. She has a big, firm belly and squeeks when it is touched. And I saw one long nipple, about as long as her fur. Her previous owner said it hadn't been like that before. The male she has these play dates with was there when I picked her up and he tried mounting her a few times and she squeaked and went after him. So I'm thinking most likely she is pregnant.

She is very sweet. Not sure what color she is. She has pink eyes and pink ears, but isn't completely white. Toward her hind end and tail she has a lot of grey. Any ideas? I couldn't really get a good picture from above to see the grey very well.

Also the male she was with looked black on top, but his belly and such looked grey. I will see if I can get a picture of him from the previous owner.

I also know I am going to have to get a new baby proof cage soon just in case

I agree, pink white.

Please read the thread that Laura posted above, and get that girl into a baby safe cage, just to be safe. Looks like the one she's in now has too much spacing between the bars, and trust me, newborn kits are escape artists.

defs Pink White. she sounds pretty far along too, because she is new to you, make sure to give her time, and don't handle much (she could miscarry from stress) does she climb much? and is she sleeping on her side?

Yes I am planning on getting a more baby proof cage. Or getting some hardware cloth to cover this one. It is big. There is only one level on it and it is not very high up, but I will take it out when I think she is closer (if I baby proof this cage and continue using it). I am giving her time and not handling her much. She seems to crave attention so I have a chair by her cage and I pet her as she allows. She does not climb at all. It is just a tiny hop up to the level. And I have not seen her sleeping on her side yet. Probably because whenever I get near the cage she sits at the door waiting hehe

Just a tip on getting a baby proof cage vs. baby proofing the one you have. I've found that even if you take all ledges out and put hardware cloth over a tall cage.... it's still not baby safe. Know why? Cause the little fuzzballs can climb, and will climb the side of the cage til they're 3' off the ground and then... where do they go? Usually, they fall back down.

I tried that once, long ago. Turned out, it was much easier/simpler to just get a smaller cage with smaller bar spacing that wouldn't cause any danger to baby even if it did climb to the ceiling of the cage and fall back down.

Just a tip on getting a baby proof cage vs. baby proofing the one you have. I've found that even if you take all ledges out and put hardware cloth over a tall cage.... it's still not baby safe. Know why? Cause the little fuzzballs can climb, and will climb the side of the cage til they're 3' off the ground and then... where do they go? Usually, they fall back down.

I tried that once, long ago. Turned out, it was much easier/simpler to just get a smaller cage with smaller bar spacing that wouldn't cause any danger to baby even if it did climb to the ceiling of the cage and fall back down.

The cage is not that tall. Even if a baby climbed to the top and fell it wouldn't get hurt. When I found out she might be pregnant I put her in this cage because it is smaller. Just need to fix the bar spacing.

We have babies!!!

What better way to celebrate Independence Day than with the birth of two baby chinchillas. One looks just like Mom and one is a grayish but has a white tail. They're nursing now. No idea when she had them but they are warm and dry and have their eyes open and are crawling around. I'm pretty sure she had them this morning while I was out. So glad everyone is doing well. I think theyre both Boys. Pics to come soon.

:D

Lots of pics.....

First baby. Looks like a light beige maybe and I think a boy? I've never had babies so I'm guessing. Please excuse the bad iPhone pics. I took them with my camera originally then realized I haven't found my laptop since I moved so I had no way to upload them. It's eyes were more open then it kinda fell asleep in my hand. Super sweet
cb0005af7ed8f7ee1a741698e597edef_zps931ca14f.jpg

dea9d8b0b6420a0f5b674c072b0b1735_zps9e0fea5d.jpg

bbdcf9a3af0481644cec7a82c94435a9_zps34153668.jpg

64848e39ce21c9e5f5e0af23f47996b4_zps37163b22.jpg

f922fd0dad0d9c1d30d1e6ab37955789_zps26713ac9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! They're super cute. I just wanna play with them, but I'm letting Mama have some alone time with them. A idea on colors? Their dad was some kind of black. I saw him but couldn't tell you how dark he was. I should have gotten a picture.

Could they be a light tan or pink white and an ebony white?

Last edited:
I would say Beige/PW (can still change a bit) and either standard or mosaic (sometimes standards have white tails when born) make sure you weigh them in grams!! and weigh them daily to make sure they are gaining weight, and that you don't need to step in and feed them. I am a little iffy on first ones gender. number 2 I say boy. could you hold them upside down by their tail bases for a picture of their parts? that way the gap is much more pronounced :)

That would be awesome if one was a girl. Could stay with Mom :D. There is definitely a difference between the two. The beige doesn't really have a space between its bits whereas the other does

Latest posts

Back